Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EmmaC
    • By EmmaC 16th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    EmmaC
    Unexpected bill after termination of iD contract
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    Unexpected bill after termination of iD contract 16th Mar 17 at 3:41 PM
    My friend terminated her iD contract on the day it expired, paid the final bill of £18.80 by direct debit, then cancelled the direct debit mandate. She has now received a bill for an outstanding amount of £27 and been given just 7 days to pay, otherwise the debt will be sent to a debt collection agency, with no explanation of what the charges are for. She is elderly and very upset by this. I have tried calling on her behalf to try to sort it out, but they will not speak to me.
    Has anyone else had difficulty with iD? Any suggestion of how to get this resolved would be very much appreciated, as the debt will be passed on if she does not pay within 7 days.
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 6,017 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    My friend terminated her iD contract on the day it expired, paid the final bill of £18.80 by direct debit, then cancelled the direct debit mandate. She has now received a bill for an outstanding amount of £27 and been given just 7 days to pay, otherwise the debt will be sent to a debt collection agency, with no explanation of what the charges are for. She is elderly and very upset by this. I have tried calling on her behalf to try to sort it out, but they will not speak to me.
    Has anyone else had difficulty with iD? Any suggestion of how to get this resolved would be very much appreciated, as the debt will be passed on if she does not pay within 7 days.
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by EmmaC
    Your friend (and you, it seems) don't understand how phone contracts work. They don't expire, they reach the end of the minimum term as per the initial contract and then become a rolling 30 day contract.

To terminate a contract requires you to contact the provider concerned and give 30 days notice, if you wanted to terminate at the end of the minimum term this should have been done when there was still a month left of the original term.

She will need to pay for the 30 day notice period.
    Dave
    ====
    • EmmaC
    • By EmmaC 16th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EmmaC
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    Your friend (and you, it seems) don't understand how phone contracts work. They don't expire, they reach the end of the minimum term as per the initial contract and then become a rolling 30 day contract.

To terminate a contract requires you to contact the provider concerned and give 30 days notice, if you wanted to terminate at the end of the minimum term this should have been done when there was still a month left of the original term.

She will need to pay for the 30 day notice period.
    Originally posted by d123
    Thanks Dave. She was told when she called on 5th January that the contract would be terminated and the final bill taken by direct debit on 18th January. There was no mention of additional costs, hence our confusion.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 6,017 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    Here's the relevant section of the terms

8.1 This Agreement terminated by:

8.1.1 you by giving us 30 days written notice in accordance with Clause 8.5 below. Unless you have ended the Agreement in accordance with Clause 8.2 or Clause 8.5 below, you must immediately pay us the Charges including any monthly (or other periodic) line rental charges for any remaining Minimum Period. You must pay the Charges during the notice period; or
    Found here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/legal/terms-and-conditions
    Dave
    ====
    • EmmaC
    • By EmmaC 16th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EmmaC
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    Here's the relevant section of the terms

Found here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/legal/terms-and-conditions
    Originally posted by d123
    The 30 day notice period was included in the final direct debit amount. It's the random unexplained £27 that is the problem ........... no matter, she will just pay it
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6,017 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    d123
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    The 30 day notice period was included in the final direct debit amount. It's the random unexplained £27 that is the problem ........... no matter, she will just pay it
    Originally posted by EmmaC
    How much was the usual monthly bill?
    Dave
    ====
  • idmobile
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    Hi Emma, we are sorry to hear your friend has experienced these problems when cancelling her account. As you have already been advised, when you request to disconnection the account there is a 30 day cancellation period, if the direct debit has been cancelled before the final payment then there may be an outstanding balance. If you need any help you can always contact our Social Media Team who will be more than happy to look into this for you.

iD Mobile.
    facebook.com/idmobileuk/
    twitter.com/id_mobile_uk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of iD Mobile. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

258Posts Today

2,292Users online

Martin's Twitter