Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scarey999
    • By Scarey999 16th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Scarey999
    Right to Appeal
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:34 PM
    Right to Appeal 16th Mar 17 at 4:34 PM
    In 2007 I followed Martin Lewis's advice about challenging my council tax banding. I felt I had a really good case, however it was turned down and even after I appealed within the 3 months the decision was not overturned and I was told the appeal decision was final. Even though I still felt that I was in the wrong band I had to accept that I couldn't go any further. Then, two nights ago there was a knock on my door and a Valuation Officer from moneysavingdirect.com wanted to discuss if I had ever challenged my band. I confirmed that I had and failed to get anywhere even after my appeal. He believes he can pursue this for me on a no win no fee basis but wants me to agree to his company getting 50% plus VAT of any money that might be refunded. What I would like to know is there any new legislation that now allows a further right to appeal. I don't want to agree to his company getting more back out of this than me especially if I could pursue this myself. Anyone out there that can advise?
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 16th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 9,768 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    CIS
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    In 2007 I followed Martin Lewis's advice about challenging my council tax banding. I felt I had a really good case, however it was turned down and even after I appealed within the 3 months the decision was not overturned and I was told the appeal decision was final. Even though I still felt that I was in the wrong band I had to accept that I couldn't go any further. Then, two nights ago there was a knock on my door and a Valuation Officer from moneysavingdirect.com wanted to discuss if I had ever challenged my band. I confirmed that I had and failed to get anywhere even after my appeal. He believes he can pursue this for me on a no win no fee basis but wants me to agree to his company getting 50% plus VAT of any money that might be refunded. What I would like to know is there any new legislation that now allows a further right to appeal. I don't want to agree to his company getting more back out of this than me especially if I could pursue this myself. Anyone out there that can advise?
    Originally posted by Scarey999
    I'd be very wary of re-banding companies - saw (and dealt with) enough of then over the years to be very cautious of them. In the end they can do nothing more than you can do yourself.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    He's not a Valuation Officer, he's a door to door salesman.
    • Scarey999
    • By Scarey999 16th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Scarey999
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    Thanks for confirming what I feel about this company, however I was rather looking for help in being able to take this forward myself if it's possible.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 16th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 35,306 Posts
    • 45,431 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    Forget it. Youve already been there and done that.

Move on
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 7,081 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    Unless there has been a recent decision on a nearby similar property there is nothing doing. If there has been, then you may find the VOA will automatically reband your home, otherwise you can deal with this yourself by asking the VOA to review your band as you understand a similar property has been rebanded
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

8,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• May underwhelming when answering audience Qs; seems to lack the confidence shown in rehearsed set pieces, that's when she packs a punch

• RT @ClaerB: The hidden thousands parents pay for university living expenses @MartinSLewis student loans expos? https://t.co/kAc8Mw4KJX @FT?

• Follow Martin