Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 16th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 10,791Posts
    • 16,186Thanks
    gettingready
    Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour 16th Mar 17 at 4:08 PM
    A strange one I know but maybe someone can advise?

I live on a ground floor in a house conversion, there are 2 flats above me.

Police has been coming to one of the neighbours every day since Sunday and they keep on ringing my bell and then barging past me saying they have to go upstairs.

Person they want to see is deaf/hard of hearing BUT has own specially adapted doorbell outside communal door so I see no reason at all for the Police to keep on calling mine.

This is nothing criminal so no worry here as such but I am fed up with being disturbed as this is a situation that is likely to go on for ages (complicated, ongoing issue).

Today again my doorbell rang, my dog went psycho (which I hate), I went out into communal hallway to the front door and again the Police and again I am telling them they are ringing wrong doorbell but they just barge past me and go upstairs.

I am on ground floor but can not see from the window who is it ringing the doorbell so can not ignore it really.

How can I make them stop ringing my doorbell when the issue upstairs is nothing to do with me.

Any idea?
Page 4
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 20th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Well if it's annoying you that much, tell them you'll call the police if they do it again and when they come don't answer the door
    I get bored very qu
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 16,926 Posts
    • 41,094 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I am happy to help when help is needed but this is not help this is an unnecessary nuisance nothing more.

No idea why is it so hard to understand for some
    Originally posted by gettingready
    I don't know why either.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 20th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 12,783 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    I know a woman with the exact opposite problem to OP. She lives in similar circumstances, a converted house with a shared front door, and two doorbells clearly marked A and B (woman lives upstairs in flat B)

Everytime someone rings B's doorbell, occupant in flat A hears it and answers the door, then asks who it is and what they want. I thought neighbour A was just being helpful but as B told me, A just lets all and sundry into the property, who then go up the stairs and bang on B's door.....she's had salesmen, Jehovah's Witnesses and all sorts at all hours. A has also quizzed B's relatives on the doorstep and has even told someone that they shouldn't come as B has just had a new baby and was "tired"!

Polite complaints from B to A aren't having much effect, B is planning to move as soon as she can!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 21st Mar 17, 12:31 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 16,186 Thanks
    gettingready
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6gAolyi1Bg
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 16,926 Posts
    • 41,094 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think you'll find that my advice in this thread is to use the proper channels to ask the police to use the correct doorbell - and explain why.

Yes, their time is paid for by the taxpayer so they should be mindful of doing the right thing - which in this case is ringing the correct doorbell instead of disturbing a totally uninvolved person.

If the police knocked on my door and wanted to speak to my neighbour, I'd point out that they really need to knock on his door, not mine.
    That's not being unhelpful to the police.
    Thev have a perfectly good way to get access to the person they need to visit, they are just not using it.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 21-03-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,307Posts Today

12,822Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin