Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 16th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 599Posts
    • 134Thanks
    strawberries1
    Structural Survey or Home Buyer's Report for Maisonette?
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    Structural Survey or Home Buyer's Report for Maisonette? 16th Mar 17 at 3:53 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Would you advice I do a full structural survey for a 1st floor purpose built late 60s maisonette or a home buyer's report is sufficient?

No service charge but minimal ground rent.

Will the HB R say if the roof needed repairs for example?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    When I was looking to buy a flat, I was advised that a structural survey was unnecessary on the vast majority of flats (the potential exceptions were conversions and very old buildings). A homebuyer's report should identify any defects that need to be repaired, but bear in mind that the surveyor may not be able to see everything (e.g. they may not be able to get roof access).

In your case, I'd be more worried about the lack of service charge. That means that if the roof does need to be repaired, there would be no sinking fund and you'd get a very big bill. It also means they're not carrying out ongoing maintenance.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 11,791 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    They would have to survey the whole building I think to be able to get a FSS. I'd just go for a HB report.

I have lived in a Victorian conversion with no service charge, but downstairs were very good at occasionally giving the hallway a lick of paint and keeping an eye on the building itself, etc. Thankfully there was no major work while I lived there but you definitely need to take that into account as Penitent says. It can be very expensive to get a big bill out the blue.

To be fair, it's how it would work if you had the whole house, so I'd not be too worried if it's just a block of two/a conversion. I would advise trying to save each month just in case!

Jx
    Last edited by hazyjo; 18-03-2017 at 1:11 AM.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 18th Mar 17, 12:44 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    strawberries1
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:44 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:44 AM
    Thanks both. It's a purpose built maisonette.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

661Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter