Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t&fmotors
    • By t&fmotors 16th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    t&fmotors
    opus energy
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    opus energy 16th Mar 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hi all.
    Does anyone no if a verbal(over the phone)contract is legally binding.
    My boss when we relocated was hounded by the shower of **** known as OPUS energy non stop until he agreed to use them over the phone.
    since then hes tried to get out of it to be told the call was recorded and that's legally binding.
    they ring constantly after money.
    not a good business to deal with...any help would be gratefull
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    I had the opposite experience with OPUS. Straightforward and competitive for my consumption.

Yes the phone contract is legal.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    This is a business energy company, business energy doesn't "enjoy" most of the perks domestic energy gets. Cooling off periods don't exist, switching via the likes of the Energy Club doesn't exist, it's almost always done over the phone and prices are more expensive in the first place (though a business can reclaim/offset those costs further down the line).
    • Lynn Opus
    • By Lynn Opus 17th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lynn Opus
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    Please contact us
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with our service, and I'd like to have our Customer Care team look into the matter. Could you please contact the team and provide them with your account information so they can assist? They can be reached at 0800 630 0841.
    Thanks - Lynn from Opus Energy
    • t&fmotors
    • By t&fmotors 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    t&fmotors
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    hi lynn opus.
    have tried your customer care (if that's what it is) no help at all.
    should have googled the company before having any phone conversation as its all taped and that's apparently a contract !!!
    • Ha$anBilal
    • By Ha$anBilal 26th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ha$anBilal
    • 26th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 26th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    I've had very bad experiences with Opus as well. They were the existing electricity supplier in my commercial property when I moved in. Despite having no power supply for 4 months connected when I moved in, Opus sent me a bill for over 300 pounds. This was resolved (sort of) after I called Opus who agreed to bill me the standing charge for that time. I then switched energy suppliers, and Opus sent me a bill for the intervening period - between paying my last bill and changing over to the new supplier - for another 100 pounds, despite my property not being open in those three days. Opus have given me conflicting reasons as to why they are charging me 100 pounds for three days when there was no power being consumed - first they said this was just the standing charge (which the person on the phone then accepted was unlikely to be the case as I had allegedly run up a bill for 100 pounds for three days in an empty property), then they said my new supplier had given them a new meter reading which was used to calculate the 100 pound figure. I've spoken to my new supplier and they denied providing Opus with the new reading.

Opus refuse to give me a clear answer on this one and change their story every time.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin