Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andyeb
    • By andyeb 16th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    andyeb
    Getting refunded for credit card fraud
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    Getting refunded for credit card fraud 16th Mar 17 at 3:02 PM
    Today I discovered over £2,000 of credit card fraud on my credit card - someone had used my card with an online travel agency (OneTwoTrip).

I immediately phoned the card company and reported it and they cancelled the card and will re-issue a new one.

No word yet on whether I will get refunded - obviously this is a major concern, given the amount of money at stake.

Does anyone know if I should do anything else to maximise the chances of getting my money back?

How long does this sort of thing generally take to get resolved?

Currently I have a direct debit in place to pay the full card balance off every month. Being a cashback card, the APR is steep. Should I cancel this until the dispute is resolved?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 13,587 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    There's nothing to refund yet, none of your money has been taken, it;s the bank's money that has been used (although it's unlikely that anything has actually gone to the travel agency yet). I would expect that your bank will place the transaction in dispute and will not include that amount in the DD until they decide that you do owe the money, which probably won't happen.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Mar 17, 4:58 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:58 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:58 AM
    Would like to see what happens at the airport! Hope the police are waiting at check-in to haul the so and so's off ....
    Or even better I hope the £2000 was for hotel accommodation in Dubai and they have no other means of payment and get hauled off to the Dubai Debtors Prison ...
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-03-2017 at 5:00 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,048Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin