Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • H14nha
    • By H14nha 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    H14nha
    Parking Fine Woes
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    Parking Fine Woes 16th Mar 17 at 1:50 PM
    Hi
    I recently had a fine sent to home from parking in my local petrol station. I had a dental appointment across the road, and, as I need to make a purchase in the shop of the petrol station, rather than park in the rear of the dentists ( which would have been closer ) I parked in a parking bay of the forecourt
    I came out of the dentist, made my purchase, and, as I paid the lady behind the counter asked "is that your car", when I told her yes she replied "I'll go and tell him you're in here now" ( 'him' being the owner )
    I came out and for the first time saw a sign about parking. ( it was raining on the way in and I genuinely never saw anything ) Anyhow, I made sure I kept my receipt just in case. When the fine came through, I emailed the people and explained I had a valid shop receipt for that day ( the ticket they sent me had a space for the time of the alleged incident, but it wasn't filled in ) I had a reply saying I had left the forecourt so had to pay the fine.
    I felt this was a bit harsh as I genuinely only parked there in the first place to make a purchase in the shop after my dentist appointment. As it was raining it saved me moving the car twice and getting wet twice. If I hadn't intended to go into the shop, I would have parked in the dentist car park which was closer for me. I haven't asked for any proof of me leaving the court yet, but I realised the picture of the car has been taken from a camera/mobile and not CCTV so I'm wondering what evidence they actually have.
    Any help would be gratefully received, as I'm off work for 3 months unpaid looking after my 4 year old daughter after she had a double hip replacement operation, and money is tight.
    Thanks,
    Ian
Page 1
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 16th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    Plenty of time to do some research then starting with the 'NEWBIES' sticky thread at the top of the parking board which will tell you exactly how to approach this.
    £2017 in 2017 - £1444.88
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 16th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    fisherjim
    You need to tell the forum who the parking company is, this will be self ticketing operation I would assume and the land owner will be on a commission and he probably took the photo.

In the meantime read the newbies thread.
    You will see also that this is not a fine, only the police and authorities can issue a fine.

You might also consider why you think you can use someone's private property just for your convenience.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 16th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 38,567 Posts
    • 77,047 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    It is not a fine.

Did you reveal who was driving?

What is the name of the parking company please?
    What was the date of the alleged event?
    Was a notice left on the car?
    What was the date the NTK arrived through the post?

Have you read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES yet that details how to deal with this sort of thing?
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 16-03-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • H14nha
    • By H14nha 16th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    H14nha
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    You need to tell the forum who the parking company is, this will be self ticketing operation I would assume and the land owner will be on a commission and he probably took the photo.

In the meantime read the newbies thread.
    You will see also that this is not a fine, only the police and authorities can issue a fine.

You might also consider why you think you can use someone's private property just for your convenience.
    Originally posted by fisherjim
    The company is PCM. I will locate the stickies thread and have a read now thanks. I didn't use their car park for my convenience, I ONLY parked there as I wanted to go in their shop to buy something ( which I did and have the receipt for ). I could have gone next door to Tescos Metro ( who also have a car park, and would definately paid less for my purchase, but, I prefer to support local small business instead.
    Thanks

It is not a fine.

Did you reveal who was driving?

What is the name of the parking company please?
    What was h date of the alleged event?
    Was a notice left on the car?
    What was the date the NTK arrived through the post?

Have you read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES yet that details how to deal with this sort of thing?
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    I replied to them stating I had a till receipt for the day in question therefore implying I was driver.
    I will look at stickies now thanks.
    Company is PCM
    Date was 21/2/2017
    No notice on the car.
    Stamp on the letter is 28/2/2017
    Thanks
    • H14nha
    • By H14nha 16th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    H14nha
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    UPDATE.
    My wife is ill in bed at present but just told me that we had 2 letters off PCM, the only difference is the dates -
    1st letter
    Date of posting of this notice : 24/02/2017
    Date this notice is given : 28/02/2017
    2nd letter
    Date of posting of this notice : 27/02/2017
    Date this notice is given : 01/03/2017

Also they don't state any times of incident, the paragraph in the letter reads
    The above incident took place in the following Parking Control Management UK Ltd ( PCM ) managed parking area > site details include< on 21/02/2017 at >blank space where times should be inserted<
    Surely they have to state the times of any offences they're claiming ?

Thanks,
    Ian
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    • 45,258 Posts
    • 57,947 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    Yes they need to state that information. Does it look like there are two PCNs from the same day? Two different reference/PCN numbers on the letter?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• H14nha
    • By H14nha 18th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    H14nha
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    Hi,
    Sorry for slow reply, my wife went into labour and had our 3rd child yesterday morning so yesterday was hectic to say the least. It's definitely the same picture in both letters, the car is in the exact same location in relation to the white lines around it both shots, the ref numbers are identical in both letters.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by H14nha; 18-03-2017 at 9:34 AM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 45,258 Posts
    • 57,947 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    Congratulations!!

Concentrate on the little one and your wife and family but just submit the IPC template appeal to PCM which is better than ignoring them. This will run on for months and will probably end with a Gladstones claim (we have won every case we've seen here v Gladstones, where a forum defence was provided).

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• H14nha
    • By H14nha 20th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    H14nha
    Thank you Coupon-mad,

It's been a hectic few days for sure. I have read some of the stickies, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate whilst looking after a 1 and 4 year old.
    I did submit a template from here stating I was a customer 'that day', they rejected it.
    As I have already implied I was driver, that rules out my first option as to remain anonymous from them. There would be no point in asking the site owner to intervene as it was he who has taken the picture. They have sent me 2 letters for the same alleged offence with no details of the time they allege the offence occurred, does that invalidate their claim ? As the picture taken was from a camera/mobile, do I request evidence to back up their claim, ie CCTV footage with confirmed timings etc.
    If they watched me allegedly leaving site, do they have a responsibility to mitigate their losses by challenging me at that point ? ( I was the only one in the shop when I went in so loss of business can't be argued ) The signs are small, approximately 300mm x 300mm and 2400mm high with small print, they are not on the site perimeter warning people the consequences of leaving a car unattended on site.

What should be my next step ? ?

Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 45,258 Posts
    • 57,947 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Do nothing then, as you have challenged it once. There is no next step (personally I hate that phrase, there doesn't have top be a next step!).

Collect any demands & debt collector letters & come back if you get a Letter before Claim or a small claim (not a biggie, no CCJ if defended, even if you lost then paid). As I said:

This will run on for months and will probably end with a Gladstones claim (we have won every case we've seen here v Gladstones, where a forum defence was provided).
    Loads of defences on the go; no standard forum defences have lost v Gladstones here so far, it's a life experience but worth the fight later this year when it kicks off a bit.

• H14nha
    • By H14nha 21st Mar 17, 12:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    H14nha
    Thank you for taking the time to advise me, it's appreciated. I'll await the impending barrage of letters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter