Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 16th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 520Posts
    • 87Thanks
    davidscot
    Tracing late mother's life insurance policies
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    Tracing late mother's life insurance policies 16th Mar 17 at 1:34 PM
    Hopefully someone has similar experience and can point me in the right direction. My elderly mother died November last year and my father who is a little confused is adamant that she had 2 life insurance policies with the Co-op. Anyway I have searched my mothers paperwork for anything related but have found nothing. I found out that the Co-op transferred to Royal London and wrote to them but they replied that they did not have anything related to my mother. My father, as I said is a little confused at times, has told me my mother paid into Co-op for years but until I find paperwork I cannot be 100% on this. I have tried the usual Google search tools but was wondering if anyone can provide help here so that if my late mother did have policies then at least my father would benefit from those. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 17,450 Posts
    • 13,083 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Tools-and-resources/Tracing-an-insurance-policy
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    The above link is the best overall guide - but the ABI website / that link seems not to be working (temporarily I assume).

On thing you can try in the meantime is whether her bank statements reflect any payments to an insurer where you have them for the past.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 17,450 Posts
    • 13,083 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    The whole ABI website seems to have a problem, the home page returned this for me:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    The whole ABI website seems to have a problem, the home page returned this for me
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Yes, dead as a dodo for now - am sure it will be back. Not over impressive though!
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 17th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    davidscot
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    Thanks so far for all the replies. I did try to use the ABI website but as fellow posters say it is not working but will check another time. I had looked at it but I was wondering if anybody had personal experience of this matter who might know a few shortcuts or tips. As regards to bank statements the only accounts I could find were not showing any payments to anybody else than Council Tax and utilities. As I mention my father is rather elderly and confused so he is not much help with things either. Will just need to keep digging I think
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    Indeed - looking at Royal Londonwebsite's - they do suggest they can find anything they have from coop "...If you don’t have anything like that, don’t panic. We’ll be able to search for your policy using more general details like your name, address and date of birth."
    https://www.royallondon.com/contact/looking-for/co-operative-insurance-society-cis-policy/
    I think you have tried this - but if name and dob don't bring anything up...
    Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,546Posts Today

5,666Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin