Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shutter
    • By shutter 16th Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    shutter
    Solicitor not yet requested Mortgage Funds
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    Solicitor not yet requested Mortgage Funds 16th Mar 17 at 1:31 PM
    Hi

I am bit stressed at the moment. Our completion date is 23rd March and today I called Nat west to check my direct debit date and enquired about the release of funds.

Nat west adviser on the phone told me they haven't received the COT from solicitor and need at least 5 working days before release of funds. I assume today is the cutoff day to achieve this.

Last time I spoken to solicitor is on Monday and told me he is ready and about to request the funds but apparently nothing was done. Today I sent an email to solicitor but haven't got any reply and not available on the phone.

My question is everything is booked based on the completion date, if for some reason it was delayed due to solicitor not requested the funds on time who is responsible for costs and associated fees?

Any advise on what to do in this situation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 16th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 31,143 Posts
    • 16,605 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    They'd like five days but they don't need them.

Solicitors manage these things all the time, so best to just let them get on with the job and submit the COT when they are ready.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 4,527 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    No lender actually needs 5 working days, I think that's just their unchallenging service standard. Generally they turn these things round pretty much by return.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 8,806 Posts
    • 10,937 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    Completion dates often change. I presume you haven't exchanged yet. You shouldn't book or cancel anything until you have exchanged. My last one changed several times!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show
    • Tewdric
    • By Tewdric 16th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Tewdric
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    We found out our Solicitor hadn't requested the mortgage funds from the bank the morning before we were due to complete - they'd also gone on holiday and left the file with a colleague.

A desperate dash to our local branch by my OH, a long talk with the branch manager and a promise that the funds would be sent first thing on completion morning.

Very, very stressful.......

It was all resolved in the end, but I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we did (removal van packed - no idea if we were going into storage or our new house at 12:30pm on completion day).

Have another nag, and then check tomorrow and Monday if needed that everything is in place! Good luck.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 16th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    Our funds were requested on the Monday morning, for a Wednesday completion, that was with Nationwide.

As such, we were only charged one day of interest as they sent the fund on the Tuesday morning, solicitor got them first thing Wednesday morning.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 5,407 Posts
    • 7,089 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    Aslo, be aware that solicitors accountingrules mean that they usually have to time things so that they are not holding the funds for any legth of time.If they get them too early they have to send them back to the lender and re-request them.
    • shutter
    • By shutter 16th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    shutter
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    Hi All,

Thanks for all replies. Yes exchange was done and completion date is finalised.

I still haven't got any update but definitely check with them tomorrow as I haven't got final completion figure. It's kind reassuring that 5 days is not a norm but bit stressful not to know everything is in place.
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 16th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 7,091 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    Well, NatWest have improved because a few years ago when I was doing conveyancing regularly they wanted 7 working days!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,086Posts Today

6,812Users online

Martin's Twitter