Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 16th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 255Posts
    • 29Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    Painting new plasterwork - but there is old section with lining paper?
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    Painting new plasterwork - but there is old section with lining paper? 16th Mar 17 at 1:27 PM
    Yes another decorating Qn from me.

Just had loft conversion put in and in the new stairwell, up to a certain height, the wall is the old wall of our hallway - which has lining paper on it, painted white. The rest of the wall and stairwell above is new bare plasterwork.

The top edge of the lining paper is a bit raggedy. (Can post a pic later.)

What should I do by way of preparation? Remove the lining paper? Does that risk taking bits of old plasterwork with it?

Should the builders / plasterers have sorted this so it was all the same?

I'm not keen on putting lining paper up on the rest of the wall as it is a nice flat finish.
    Last edited by zoothornrollo; 16-03-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 1
    • TRB
    • By TRB 16th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    TRB
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    Cut back the lining paper to where it is good and then feather it out with filler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter