Disposable Income When Paying Off Debt

Hi All

I haven't posted in a long time and trying to realistically sort my financial situation out currently.

I was just wondering if you allow yourself any kind of disposable income (if at all possible) whilst you are paying off your debts? Just for that cheeky takeaway, pint of milk if you run out unexpectedly etc? Or does every last penny get accounted for every month?

I'm just setting up my spreadsheet to see exactly where our money goes and a big chunk seems to disappear each month which is unaccounted for!

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi

It’s generally best to budget for everything, even if that means factoring in takeaways. At least you’ll have a realistic view of where your money is going, and you can tighten your belt in those areas if necessary.

Allowing yourself the odd luxury here and there might help to make the long haul of clearing your debts more bearable, and mean you actually stick to the plan. It’s also a good idea to budget for an emergency fund, for anything unexpected.

If you post your SOA figures here you can ask for more specific opinions on your budgeting.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have budgetted £50 a month "fun" money so an icecream on a day out or a takeaway etc. I havent spent the full amount yet but I am being very cautious at the min
    Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,174
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Some people find they can get by throwing everything at the debt, others "need" a bit of slack there for the odd spontaneous spend. A lot depends on your own mindset and how bad your situation is though, in my view. I'm inclined to feel that the healthier, more sustainable approach is probably to account for some "fun money" though.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • TheRoders
    TheRoders Posts: 176 Forumite
    We are in a fairly fortunate position at the moment. We do have a LOT of debt but all manageable as I've just got a new job.

Income:
    Me - £2224
    Hubby - £1900

Debts:
    Mortgage - £147000 / £638.00 a month
    Barclaycard - £4200 / 6% / £65 a month
    MBNA - £6250 / 0% / £65 a month

Car PCP - £378 a month
    Black Horse - £147 a month
    Personal Loan - £157 a month

With everything we pay out, it leaves us with £1200 a month. I have been squirreling away/saving £800 a month to clear our debts on top of what we pay monthly anyway which leaves £400 disposable income but looking through what we spend that on, it really is takeaways and rubbish!!

My only concern is, if I reduce this will I start to resent it and mess everything up!! I was looking to reduce it to £50 a week to give us some breathing space.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I built in take aways, the odd beer, weekends away. Also managed to treat myself when I paid off a card by using the next "payment" I would have made to that card on something I really wanted.
    Its a marathon not a sprint ... the plan is to get to the finish in a time that you are happy with. Not trying to hit a time that others are happy with and feeling miserable all the way through.

I couldn't do it without being able to have treats! As such budget for them and then it doesn't set you back when you inevitably fall off the wagon.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Takeaways are always cheeky!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • TheRoders
    TheRoders Posts: 176 Forumite
    You are most certainly right!! I think I'm trying to plough too much into the debts and not think about the bigger picture..... It is a marathon not a sprint!

I shall spend some more time on my spreadsheet to make sure it suits our lifestyle....
  • loken152
    loken152 Posts: 53
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have always budgeted for £20 a week for disposable income and majority of the time i don't use it all as i a bottle wine once a week. Then at the end of the month i £60ish more to put towards the debt. But this month i have spent it each week, like on a take away and i treated the kids to the first McD's for almost 6 months, as National D said it helps with the long haul.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    To my mind it depends on the severity of the debt, in relation to your income. If, for instance, you're on the point of having your house repossessed, then any luxury is out of the question. For less severe circumstances, then my view is that a takeaway and a bottle of wine once or twice a month is acceptable, and will help to keep you sane.

Obviously, a holiday to the Bahamas would be a no-no, but occasional treats - as long as they're fairly cheap in comparison to what you're trying to achieve - are fine. Maybe even "sensible", inasmuch as you're more likely to stick to your budget if you don't feel like you're constantly living like my Dickens' namesake ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,174
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    OK - here's another way of looking at it then. That £400 a month - whatever of it is left at the end of the month you get to pay it off against a debt. That might seem like more of an incentive not to spend, than "I've cut my "fun money" in half!" which yes, might make you feel resentful.

Sounds a bit fluffy, but I always tried to think in terms of what I had, rather than what I was denying myself.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business