Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kess
    • By Kess 16th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Kess
    Local Solar Scheme - legit or scam?
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    Local Solar Scheme - legit or scam? 16th Mar 17 at 1:04 PM
    We're suddenly being hit with advertisements for this firm:

http://view.localsolarscheme.tk/

Does anyone have any experience of them, or whether such schemes are worth pursuing?
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 27,021 Posts
    • 13,142 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    It seems no different to any other solar installation - complete with the usual 'assumptions' of inflation and presumably a loan to pay for the installation.

'Saving up to 50% of energy bills for life' is plain silly. 10% to 20% would excellent.

£600pa in FIT from 16 panels in the Midlands(presumably 4kWp) is again silly. Even if the system produced 4,000kWh pa payment of FIT would be around £160pa with an export payment of around £50. Even with their estimated inflation figure of 3.04% it wouldn't be £600 at year 20.

The ballpark figure for such a system is around £5,000 - I suspect their cost will be a lot more, and the loan interest will high.

If you are interested get more details from the firm and post them here; and the experts(not I) will doubtless rip them apart if they are silly.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    'Saving up to 50% of energy bills for life' is plain silly. 10% to 20% would excellent.

£600pa in FIT from 16 panels in the Midlands(presumably 4kWp) is again silly. Even if the system produced 4,000kWh pa payment of FIT would be around £160pa with an export payment of around £50. Even with their estimated inflation figure of 3.04% it wouldn't be £600 at year 20.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    10% to 20% of bill is pretty poor, certainly not excellent. 50% of import is possible.

Export would be about £100 in your example.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Kess
    • By Kess 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Kess
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    The ballpark figure for such a system is around £5,000 - I suspect their cost will be a lot more, and the loan interest will high.
    That's what puzzled us, the website boasts about "ZERO up-front costs", I guess trying to trick people into thinking it's a free government-supported scheme.

If you are interested get more details from the firm and post them here; and the experts(not I) will doubtless rip them apart if they are silly.
    Maybe, but to request details you have to provide quite a lot of personal data - I don't want to be plagued by sales calls if it's a known scam.
    Last edited by Kess; 16-03-2017 at 6:46 PM.
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 16th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    pinnks
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    Looks odd to me but perhaps I am just so sceptical.

I typed in some details (not mine) and surprise, surprise I qualify. I will be contacted (not) within a couple of days. They will try a few times but if they don't get me I may no longer get accepted - REALLY??

Then there is the fact that they are now moving into [area] - seems that is where I live! And then there are the typos, grammar errors and general lack of information.

I would go find a straightforward installer in your area if you are interested. Ask on here and/or take a look at yougen.co.uk.
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • Kess
    • By Kess 16th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Kess
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    I tried too. The advert implied that my village had been specially selected, so I entered a nonsense postcode of XYZ and - surprise, surprise - was informed "Success! Funding is available on your postcode" (although, of course, I must hurry to secure my place because there are "only 6 allocations left in my street").

I look forward to them trying to locate XYZ...
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 27,021 Posts
    • 13,142 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    Originally Posted by Cardew

10% to 20% of bill is pretty poor, certainly not excellent. 50% of import is possible.

Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Their website doesn't say '50% of import' (which I agree is possible, but would be less than 2,000kWh)

As I put in my post the exact wording on their website is ' Saving up to 50% of energy bills for life'

Energy bills include heating, hot water, all electrical usage. The UK average is approx 16,000kWh for gas/electricity combined and this array is on a house with a roof big enough to accommodate 16 panels.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    As I put in my post the exact wording on their website is ' Saving up to 50% of energy bills for life'
    Fair enough if you are talking energy bills, not leccy bills, though even then 10% would be about £116 which is average, not at all excellent. Plus It was necessary to point out the error in your export payment too.

@Kess for more detailed information on PV and income/savings, please have a look at the PV FAQs. The lack of information in that web link is concerning.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 17-03-2017 at 8:05 AM.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 27,021 Posts
    • 13,142 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    Fair enough if you are talking energy bills, not leccy bills, though even then 10% would be about £116 which is average, not at all excellent. Plus It was necessary to point out the error in your export payment too.

Originally posted by Martyn1981
    How petty!

I(Cardew) wasn't 'talking energy bills' - the website referred to 'energy bills'.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    How petty!

I(Cardew) wasn't 'talking energy bills' - the website referred to 'energy bills'.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but obviously given the fact that you've spent this whole decade attacking PV and FiTs, it will take some time before you can regain my trust.

So when I see you giving questionable numbers for the returns, I think it's worth challenging them just for clarity (until such time as your motives can be trusted), after all shorting the returns by £50 is about a 15% reduction on the earnings/savings based on your 4,000kWh example, and that could easily be the difference between someone making a good or bad decision regarding PV.

Regarding the 50% claim, it may be that they were referring to the whole income package (FiT + export + savings), but that is not made clear, and I think we both agree that the site is at the very least 'concerning'.

If you still have any questions on how to work out the returns, then may I refer you to the PV FAQs.

Thanks.

• Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 17th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    To get back to the original issue. The installer appears the have made extremely dubious claims (no one here thinks the numbers are reasonable) and appears to be expensive too. At this point trust in the installer is gone and so it's time to walk away. No further questions necessary nor explanations to the installer. Simply get rid!
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 17th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 10,139 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    To get back to the original issue. The installer appears the have made extremely dubious claims (no one here thinks the numbers are reasonable) and appears to be expensive too. At this point trust in the installer is gone and so it's time to walk away. No further questions necessary nor explanations to the installer. Simply get rid!
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    I can't remember the exact rules, but don't business sites have to give addresses, some sort of contact info, registration etc. This one has nothing, though I'm also not used to that address so I looked it up and found this:

.tk is a free kind of domain name. So it means it can be a prank; it can be a experimental project/site. Be careful while going through any .tk domain.

I am not saying that these are all frauds; as I am also a former user of .tk and it was really a help for me to have a free domain name to start my blog. I continued almost 1.5 years with the .tk domain name. But be careful as it can also be used for phishing.
    Doesn't really prove anything, but certainly raises my concerns even further as the instigators remain unknown.

• RobVN
    • By RobVN 16th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobVN
    Strange view.localsolarscheme.tk link on instagram
    Same on Instagram and obvious wrong, they claim it is totally free. They even suggest to place it on all houses regardless of position! I had legit solar companies who sadly told me the house is in the wrong position and that despite the GOV subsidy I would still have to take out a loan if accepted. And look at h t t p ://view.localsolarscheme.tk/?area=Consett/UK - nice to fill in a form in plain sight and then get targeted by a sniffer! Donít use the form, that is NOT safe - if they canít give a safe page then they may not be a safe provider either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,708Posts Today

9,980Users online

Martin's Twitter