Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NathanMorgan
    • By NathanMorgan 16th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 12Thanks
    NathanMorgan
    Loft TV Aerial Random Signal Loss
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    Loft TV Aerial Random Signal Loss 16th Mar 17 at 12:54 PM
    I've installed a high gain aerial in an empty loft which is connected up to a splitter which I have two PF100 coax cables currently connected to 2 different TV's.

My problem is that one day it would be working perfectly then next thing I have total signal loss on both TV's. I then have to go up the loft and move the aerial slightly and it would work but a couple of days pass and then the signal loss happens again.

Can anyone help me solve this issue please.
Page 1
    • JP08
    • By JP08 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    Well I can only think of two causes for this.

1) Something is moving the aerial in the loft (draughts? vermin? birds?) - make sure the mountings are tight.

2) Something dense outside is directly in line with the signal. You've not got some 200 year old oak outside the front of your house that moves slightly depending on which way the wind is blowing have you ?
    • stator
    • By stator 16th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 3,806 Thanks
    stator
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    Could be a dodgey connection, try redoing the connections on each end of the cable.

Instead of a splitter you could try a masthead amplifier which will compensate for your loss of strength from the splitter.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Crinkmeister
    • By Crinkmeister 17th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Crinkmeister
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    Digital TV tuners are very good at recovering errors in noisy received data, so they tend to lose a picture with little warning if signal level decreases. When it fails next time, without moving the aerial, bypass the splitter and see if you can get reception on one TV. Alternatively, borrow a signal strength meter and check at the TV end of the cable.
    • NathanMorgan
    • By NathanMorgan 18th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    NathanMorgan
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:36 AM
    my signal strength is 100% but signal quality is hovering between 20-30%.

How can I improve my signal quality?
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 18th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:47 AM
    my signal strength is 100% but signal quality is hovering between 20-30%.

How can I improve my signal quality?
    Originally posted by NathanMorgan
    Do you have any electrical equipment (central heating pump, anything with an electrical motor) near the aerial? Those can create enough local interference to make the weak output from the loft aerial unuseable.

Have you looked at this webpage, which is specifically about loft aerial performance:
    http://www.aerialsandtv.com/loftaerials.html
    • NathanMorgan
    • By NathanMorgan 18th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    NathanMorgan
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    no there's no electrical equipment up the loft or anything like that.

could it be the copper threads that could be my issue as instead of twisting them and folding them back on the outer sheath I've completely snipped them off?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 31,635 Posts
    • 37,311 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    Splitting the signal at the aerial is halving the signal to each TV , as said before use a masthead splitter

The outer sheath is needed and should be connected
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 18th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    keith969
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    no there's no electrical equipment up the loft or anything like that.

could it be the copper threads that could be my issue as instead of twisting them and folding them back on the outer sheath I've completely snipped them off?
    Originally posted by NathanMorgan
    Err do you mean the outer coax braid is not in contact with the outer part of the plug?

If that's the case, or if the outer connection is poor, it might be the cause of the noise (lack of signal quality).
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • NathanMorgan
    • By NathanMorgan 18th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    NathanMorgan
    I've plugged one of the tv aerial straight onto the loft aerial and that's giving me 90% signal quality so my problem occurs when it goes through the splitter.

what do I need to maintain that signal quality as well as wanting to split the aerial signal in different rooms?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 18th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

as already said, a masthead amplifier, something like this,

1 input, 2 output.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 18th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Re wire the co-ax plugs then try again. If all else fails mount the aerial outside on the chimney.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 18th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    keith969
    You need something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-aerial-amplifier-with-digital-bypass-6-way-l24ag
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • stator
    • By stator 18th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 3,806 Thanks
    stator
    Masthead amplifier:
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/TV+%26+Satellite/sd3084/UHF+TV+Masthead+Amp/p83941

But it needs a power supply too :
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/TV+%26+Satellite/sd3084/F+Type+Masthead+Amplifier+Power+Supply/p87694

(The power is transferred on the coaxial cable between the masthead amplifier and the power supply)
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 18th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    Before doing anything else take heed of the advice regarding the coax connectors and the copper braid conductor (what you call threads?) as they form part of the radio frequency circuit.
    Without them all being connected correctly at EVERY coax connector you will not have a circuit working properly.

Do not cut back the outer braid.

Chances are that will fix your problem for absolutely no cost!
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 18th Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    glennevis
    YouTube video shows you how to wire up a coax connector:
    https:// youtu.be/Z44TBGhf6j8
    (you have to take the space out of the link).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

7,065Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin