Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marc81
    • By marc81 16th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 41Thanks
    marc81
    Replacing Tile around Toilet
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    Replacing Tile around Toilet 16th Mar 17 at 11:40 AM
    I have a floor tile in the bathroom which has cracked and some of the grout has come out so its pretty wobbly. I'm going to replace it but one of the corners is cut away quite a bit to fit around the toilet. What's the best way to sort this without spending a lot on tools... would tile nibblers be ok for a big cutout? Will I need adhesive AND grout? I've not tiled before but reasonably handy.

Thanks,
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 22,917 Posts
    • 64,510 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    If you're handy, could you not take the toilet out temporarily and tile underneath? It saves tile cutting, looks better and is easier to clean, imo.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 16th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    A diamond blade in an angle grinder would be fairly inexpensive (if you already have a grinder). Failing that, you can get diamond/carbide blades for coping saws - Long slow job by hand though...

It is also possible to get tubs of pre-mixed adhesive/grout which saves having to buy big bags of both.
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • marc81
    • By marc81 16th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    marc81
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I might look in to removing the toilet, I've just done that much work on the house over the past month or so that I just wanted to do a reasonably quick job and as the current tile doesn't go under the toilet it saves me doing more than one. I know what you mean though it'd be neater and saves cutting.

I'll look in to the ready mixed adhesive and grout.

Thanks
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 16th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    27cool
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    Put the toilet on top of the tiles, every time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,088Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter