Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lebourg
    • By lebourg 16th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lebourg
    capital one ppi
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    capital one ppi 16th Mar 17 at 11:51 AM
    I tried to claim back ppi from Capital one, they sent me a copy of my agreement where they said I had ticked to have ppi, I opened this card approx. 10 years ago when you were informed that you should have it in case of job lose but when I did loose my job and told them that it was ok I was covered with my ppi they stated that it did not work like that, so they have refused to give the ppi back to me.
    I also had a problem with the Royal bank of Scotland saying that they do not deal with accounts that have been closed for more then 10 years even though my charges ran into the thousands.
    Can someone please advise me where I stand.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 18,322 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    Originally posted by lebourg
    You've been rejected.

If this was less than six months ago you can go to the Ombudsman. If it was more your complaint is over.

As to your inability to claim on the insurance, it sounds like you tried to claim immediately you became unemployed. As you were told, "it doesn't work that way" and you would have had to wait three months for any payout.

As to RBS "charges", I'm not sure what exactly you were complaining about?
    Was this a complaint about Bank charges levied for exceeding your overdraft?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    I tried to claim back ppi from Capital one, they sent me a copy of my agreement where they said I had ticked to have ppi, I opened this card approx. 10 years ago when you were informed that you should have it in case of job lose but when I did loose my job and told them that it was ok I was covered with my ppi they stated that it did not work like that, so they have refused to give the ppi back to me.
    If you tried to claim but were ineligible that could be a miss-sale reason, depending on when you took the policy out and if your job had changed since then. If you tried to claim and were simply not in a qualifying period e.g. first 3 months and THEN you claim, that would be on you to follow up when you were eligible - I'd clarify that before deciding to proceed or not.

Ticking a box on a form does tend to mean you miss-bought rather than being miss-sold unless the form wording is considered to be financial advice and the FOS know who this applies to and when it applied.

I also had a problem with the Royal bank of Scotland saying that they do not deal with accounts that have been closed for more then 10 years even though my charges ran into the thousands.
    Thank you
    Since the 2009 court case you can't claim back old charges and they are not considered unfair. Only current hardship is considered for bank charge cases
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 87,255 Posts
    • 52,406 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    I opened this card approx. 10 years ago when you were informed that you should have it in case of job lose but when I did loose my job and told them that it was ok I was covered with my ppi they stated that it did not work like that, so they have refused to give the ppi back to me.
    If you were made redundant (not fired) and you signed on, then you should have been able to put a claim in. If you feel the claim was incorrectly dealt with then you should have made a complaint about that within 3 years of the claim rejection.

Correct. Banks won the court case in 2009 about bank charges. They now only consider goodwill cases for current customers meeting their current financial hardship criteria.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,664Users online

Martin's Twitter