Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forum_posts
    • By forum_posts 16th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 38Posts
    • 38Thanks
    forum_posts
    Home Buyers survey, are they worth it?
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    Home Buyers survey, are they worth it? 16th Mar 17 at 11:38 AM
    I've just had a Home Buyers survey done on my house and it took 23 minutes.

The surveyor asked me if I had done any major work on the house since I bought it, my reply was no. I asked him did he want to ask me any more more questions, his reply was no. I asked him how much did this cost the buyer and he said up to £700. Seemed far too quick for my liking, I expected more questions and more of an investigation of the property.

I think when I buy I might give a survey a miss and use my eyes and intuition instead.
Page 1
    • pimento
    • By pimento 16th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 6,677 Thanks
    pimento
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    We just had the valuation on our house when we bought it BUT my dad knew the builder who had done the extension and it was a fairly new house (1978). We were also only borrowing 40% of the value.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • economic
    • By economic 16th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    economic
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    home buyers not worth it. if you gonna do one might as well do structural survey, which is also pointless unless you are worried for some reason about the stucture (past insurance claims etc).

i wouldnt bother, its a waste of money.
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 16th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    What we did was contact a structural engineer to walk around the property with us and advise on any potential structural issues (which is the most costly thing we were worried about because of a flat roof extension and cracks in walls etc). He charged us £150 for that. Our solicitor did a very thorough job of getting reports on the boiler etc. Much better value and more useful than a home buyers report
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,347Posts Today

7,878Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin