Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EmsLdn
    • By EmsLdn 16th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 32Thanks
    EmsLdn
    Viewings while packing to leave
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    Viewings while packing to leave 16th Mar 17 at 11:37 AM
    Hello all,

Not sure if I'm being unreasonable so have come here for some independent advice.

In February, our landlord gave us 2 months notice when she activated a 6-months break clause in our 2 year tenancy agreement. I love the home we have made at the property but diligently set about looking for a new home. Luckily, we found somewhere relatively quickly and will be able to move before the end of the 2 months notice period. We were asked to accommodate viewings and did so. We had our home 'show room' tidy while the property was on the market. The property is now under offer so we have started the long arduous task of packing. We are moving out next week Wednesday so you can imagine what the box situation is right now. We are knee deep in boxes, sorting through drawers and cupboards, decluttering, etc.

The question now is the buyers want to view the property again this Friday evening. I have said no for the reasons stated above. I said the property is having an 'end of tenancy clean' on Friday. The property will be both clean and empty then. They will be able to properly view the property without obstacles.

I've had an email back from the agency saying because they've given 48 hours notice, it doesn't matter. They can come in.

I thought I was being quite reasonable. Maybe I'm being terrible.

I welcome opinions on this but ask that you keep it civil.

Thanks
Page 1
    • fed up and stressed
    • By fed up and stressed 16th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    fed up and stressed
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    No as it isn't emergency access required you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 16th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    cooltt
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    Hello all,

Not sure if I'm being unreasonable so have come here for some independent advice.

In February, our landlord gave us 2 months notice when she activated a 6-months break clause in our 2 year tenancy agreement. I love the home we have made at the property but diligently set about looking for a new home. Luckily, we found somewhere relatively quickly and will be able to move before the end of the 2 months notice period. We were asked to accommodate viewings and did so. We had our home 'show room' tidy while the property was on the market. The property is now under offer so we have started the long arduous task of packing. We are moving out next week Wednesday so you can imagine what the box situation is right now. We are knee deep in boxes, sorting through drawers and cupboards, decluttering, etc.

The question now is the buyers want to view the property again this Friday evening. I have said no for the reasons stated above. I said the property is having an 'end of tenancy clean' on Friday. The property will be both clean and empty then. They will be able to properly view the property without obstacles.

I've had an email back from the agency saying because they've given 48 hours notice, it doesn't matter. They can come in.

Thanks
    Originally posted by EmsLdn
    Take lots of pictures and a video with your phone of the clean property. Inform the agency you did this with whiteness present (get their body on camera, no face) should any disputes arise with the deposit payback.

Job Done.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 16th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    take lots of pictures and a video with your phone of the clean property. Inform the agency you did this with whiteness present (get their body on camera, no face) should any disputes arise with the deposit payback.

Job done.
    Originally posted by cooltt

. .
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 6,430 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    Hello all,

Thanks
    Am I missing something? If they want to come Friday evening and the property will be clean & empty by then, I don't see the issue.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 16th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    Firstly you don't have to keep the place clean or at all presentable for viewings, so if it's not too much of an inconvenience for you / you don't mind, then you can let them view around your boxes and there's no issue.

There's a lot of debate around whether you agreed to allow access in your tenancy agreement often subject to certain conditions and whether these are binding at all
    - with a certain length and format of notice
    - only for repairs / inspections / ?
    - only in last month of tenancy / contract (does this apply with a break clause?).

In practice unless the LL has keys and you'll be out, there's little the LL can do to enforce access before you'd have left anyway. In theory if they can demonstrate they were entitled to access and your refusal caused them any direct, provable losses, they can sue you for this.

As for next steps, if its not an inconvenience for you, I'd let them come to view around your boxes. If it is then suggest another time that would work better and explain that you don't want the viewers to get a poor impression as the boxes make the place look small / messy.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 6,215 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:33 PM

Not if the doors locked. Advise them viewings from next Thursday are welcome.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 16-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    Am I missing something? If they want to come Friday evening and the property will be clean & empty by then, I don't see the issue.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    The viewing is for THIS Friday and the OP moves out NEXT Weds which is what I'm reading.

OP - I'd say they're welcome to view but you'll be packing. Make sure you're packing and keep saying "Excuse me, I need to get through"
    • EmsLdn
    • By EmsLdn 16th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    EmsLdn
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    Hi, I think I've explained terribly.

Agents want to bring buyers round on 17th. Due to shift work/study/commitments, we'll be working between now and moving out date 22/23 March, so we are almost completely packed and ready to leave. End of Tenancy clean is happening on Friday 24 March (am). Property will be unoccupied from then on.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 16th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    lika_86
    Who cares if it's messy? If the viewers don't have a good impression of it then it's their problem/your landlord's problem, not yours. If you're having them in after the end of tenancy clean though, make sure that you do check out before a load of people come and traipse through the house.

I'd let them come round whenever, it's not like they're your buyers.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 16th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 4,171 Thanks
    lika_86
    Also, having thought about this, I'd have tried to agree in writing with the landlord that an end of tenancy clean isn't required on the basis that new tenants aren't going in but instead buyers who will take the property as it is.
    • North4
    • By North4 16th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    North4
    I can't really see what the problem is. Let the buyers come round and see the property as it is at that point in time.

Your tenancy agreement doesn't include a clause that you have to keep it as a show house does it? But it will say that you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home, it's just unfortunate (from a presentation point of view) that your current enjoyment is packing your belongings into boxes!
    • EmsLdn
    • By EmsLdn 16th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    EmsLdn
    Also, having thought about this, I'd have tried to agree in writing with the landlord that an end of tenancy clean isn't required on the basis that new tenants aren't going in but instead buyers who will take the property as it is.
    Originally posted by lika_86
    We're doing the EoT clean to make sure we get our full deposit back. I wouldn't want to have my money docked because they wanted to pay someone to clean the property before it's sold. We're not dirty people but we also don't clean windows/behind cookers, etc., but the cleaners we've hired will.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 5,929 Posts
    • 5,683 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I can't really see what the problem is. Let the buyers come round and see the property as it is at that point in time.
    Originally posted by North4
    Indeed, it seems almost as much hassle to start a thread here complaining about it as it would be just to let them pop in.
    • EmsLdn
    • By EmsLdn 16th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    EmsLdn
    Indeed, it seems almost as much hassle to start a thread here complaining about it as it would be just to let them pop in.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Almost... but not quite.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 16th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    cloo
    It may be a bit of a pain for you to have people going about if you're packing, but I'm not sure why you are so concerned other than you're not comfortable with the notice? I can see why an owner selling up might not want to see the place in a state, but it has no bearing on you if the buyers see it full of boxes and might cause the buyers unease and the vendor stress for you to refuse, as they might worry there's something wrong. You may or may not care about that, but it seems like they have not been overly onerous in terms of their expectations of you, so I'd let this one lie.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 16th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    You created a bit of a rod for your own back in keeping it 'show room' tidy previously, when there was no need to do so. Unless the relationship has irretrievably broken down already, it's probably not worth falling out with the LL or the agents now, especially given there's the matter of getting your deposit back....

With that in mind, I'd let the viewing go ahead, but make no effort to alter your packing activities (and associated mess!) whatsoever. You keep packing, the LL gets their viewing, everyone's happy. This is probably a case where you want to be strategic, rather than reasonable or unreasonable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,528Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter