Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yinlokkwan
    • By yinlokkwan 16th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    yinlokkwan
    atm deduct extra money from my account
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    atm deduct extra money from my account 16th Mar 17 at 11:30 AM
    I used the ATM last night and took 30 quid. I check my bank account this morning, they say i took 150 quid but i remember clearly i have not. what should i do?
Page 2
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Also, perhaps cash points can be hacked, so why is everyone blaming the OP on this?
    Originally posted by TrustyOven
    I've never heard of a cashpoint being "hacked" and I'm not sure where the benefit in doing so would be in this case.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 16th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The longer this thread goes on, the more I am convinced it is genuine. But, OP, you must tell the bank exactly what took place.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Robisere
    The gaps between ATM visits are intriguing. Were you at a pub, club or party?

Had you been drinking?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 16th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    I've never heard of a cashpoint being "hacked" and I'm not sure where the benefit in doing so would be in this case.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Well, I've never heard of nuclear enrichment centrafuges being hacked, until we saw reports of Stuxnet / Duqu / Flame.

You are not sure of the benefit of the machine being hacked?
    How about: machine pretends to debit the correct amount, and hands out the correct amount, but in fact debits a large amount and allocates the difference cash as unallocated / hidden cash. A pre-determined debit card / easter egg type input then allows taking of the diff cash, with no electronic debit taking place.
    Bank says: c&p was used, not our fault + non-default amount debited, therefore user intended to take that amount out. Innocent customer: loses money. Criminal: has the diff cash. ATM cash balance: balances out.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2014 #192
    (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)

Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£1230.72 / £10k) (12.31%)
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    You are not sure of the benefit of the machine being hacked?
    How about: machine pretends to debit the correct amount, and hands out the correct amount, but in fact debits a large amount and allocates the difference cash as unallocated / hidden cash. A pre-determined debit card / easter egg type input then allows taking of the diff cash, with no electronic debit taking place.
    Bank says: c&p was used, not our fault + non-default amount debited, therefore user intended to take that amount out. Innocent customer: loses money. Criminal: has the diff cash. ATM cash balance: balances out.
    Or the customer hit the wrong button, or was drunk and spent too much.

Which is more likely?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 16th Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Or the customer hit the wrong button, or was drunk and spent too much.

Which is more likely?
    Well, yes, the latter.
    But the unlikely could have happened.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2014 #192
    (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)

• yinlokkwan
    • By yinlokkwan 17th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yinlokkwan
    Thanks everyone, I will go to the bank and tell them the situation (£150 is not on my list) and i am sure i am not drunk. Anyway thanks for advice
    Last edited by yinlokkwan; 17-03-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 17th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Well, yes, the latter.
    But the unlikely could have happened.
    Probably didn't though. And really, thinking up weird, convoluted and fantastical ways in which unknown people could have committed a very technical fraud for a very petty outcome doesn't make that fraud probable. Especially not when a Lebanese loop costs about a fiver.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    badger09
    no it is the one provided by the restaurant, or i should not trust the ATM without coop again
    Originally posted by yinlokkwan
    I didn't know restaurants provided ATMs.

Which restaurant, and where?
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 17th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Probably didn't though.
    I think we agree here.

And really, thinking up weird, convoluted and fantastical ways in which unknown people could have committed a very technical fraud for a very petty outcome doesn't make that fraud probable. Especially not when a Lebanese loop costs about a fiver.

Just because you dont think it's probable doesn't mean that it won't happen or that someone won't think it's worth it.

I just skim-read the wikipedia page for Lebanese Loop. It doesnt mean you get the PIN (if you correctly shield the keys as everyone should do all the time anyway). The card is retained. The customer will inform the bank and get the card blocked. Then what good is that card?
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2014 #192
    (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)

• yinlokkwan
    • By yinlokkwan 17th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yinlokkwan
    guys chill, let the bank do their work and prove that i am innocent and telling lie is no good for me. Thank you guys keep giving advice and the first reaction of me is odd, so i do not blame people who do not believe me. i will let you guys know what happen next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,278Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter