Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 101Posts
    • 6Thanks
    chamelious
    Insuring first home- struggling
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    Insuring first home- struggling 16th Mar 17 at 9:40 AM
    I've used a few comparison sites to get prices for my and my partners first home. I'm only getting 7 or 8 results from each, and they range from affordable to ridiculous, but they're all from rubbish companies I've never heard of.

I can't think of any reason why i'd be struggling to get results from reputable dealers, the policy details are literally as standard as you can possibly get. Can anyone shed any light?

At the mo the only option i can see is go for the cheapest one (admiral) and just hope we never need it.
    Last edited by chamelious; 16-03-2017 at 9:42 AM.
Page 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 38,517 Posts
    • 43,624 Thanks
    G_M
    I've used a few comparison sites to get prices for my and my partners first home. I'm only getting 7 or 8 results from each, .....

I can't think of any reason why i'd be struggling to get results from reputable dealers, the policy details are literally as standard as you can possibly get. Can anyone shed any light?
    Originally posted by chamelious
    How can we possibly shed light without knowing what answers you are giving to the standard Qs the comparison sites ask?

It could be location, your occupation, your claims history, your criminal record, the construction of the property, the number of nights you plan to leave it unoccupied......... there are any number of reasons.

Care to enlighten us?
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 16th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 9,294 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    dimbo61
    "Which" has a list of best buys and I am sure that MSE also has a list of companies that meet a good standard of cover.
    Most if not all insurance companies have free phone lines when you ring to get a quote.
    Or try one or two of the main comparison websites. Moneysupermarket, compare the market, go compare and quidco which also offer cash back
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 8,008 Thanks
    marliepanda
    "Which" has a list of best buys and I am sure that MSE also has a list of companies that meet a good standard of cover.
    Most if not all insurance companies have free phone lines when you ring to get a quote.
    Or try one or two of the main comparison websites. Moneysupermarket, compare the market, go compare and quidco which also offer cash back
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    That sounds incredibly time consuming and a lot of effort. Phone calls? Visiting 6 websites??
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 16th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Heather2603
    That sounds incredibly time consuming and a lot of effort. Phone calls? Visiting 6 websites??
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,321 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    A others have said, it is worth speaking to a broker or to one fo the big companies to get a quote.
    It's possible that there is some odd technical glitch (such as your address not coming up on a postcode database search)
    or that there is an issue with the property, in which case you need to know what it is before you commit yourselves,
    or an issue with one of you or the way you plan to use your home (in which case again, useful to kno what it is and correct it if possible.

Did you say you want to pay monthly or in one lump? If you ticked the box for 'monthly' then could poor credit be an issue?
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 16th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    jennifernil
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors. I've already wasted enough time on this.

Many thanks for the help all.
    No need to phone, the big companies will all do quotes on line.
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 16th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    jennifernil
    - plenty of big names do not use the comparison sites- have you tried them direct?

- many of the unfamiliar cheapo ones may be underwritten by larger names.

-your bank/mortgage provider may be an option (rarely competitive though).
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly

Is Aviva not one of the ones that do not use comparison sites?

Re banks.......surprisingly, for our car insurance, Halifax worked out best for what we needed! No doubt the premium will shoot up next year though.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 16th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 30,926 Posts
    • 16,483 Thanks
    kingstreet
    I suspect chamelious' use of the word 'vendors' rather than insurers indicates US origin and he/she thinks there is a better deal to be had from the 'manufacturer', not understanding that in the UK home insurance market the aggregators have resulted in the manufacturer being the vendor and the ultimate risk-holder at the same time.

chamelious - please come back and tell us what you are looking for and we'll try to point you in the right direction.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 17th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chamelious
    I suspect chamelious' use of the word 'vendors' rather than insurers indicates US origin and he/she thinks there is a better deal to be had from the 'manufacturer', not understanding that in the UK home insurance market the aggregators have resulted in the manufacturer being the vendor and the ultimate risk-holder at the same time.

chamelious - please come back and tell us what you are looking for and we'll try to point you in the right direction.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Standard legal cover required by my mortgage company.

The house is dirt cheap, the area is many miles from a flood zone. Its a standard old terrace, literally nothing to remark on. My partner and i have zero debt and make much more than we need to afford the house, we've never had any issue with other insurance before.

"Admiral" return an acceptable price (just over a hundred quid a year), literally anyone else is 3-10 times this. I tried a couple of individuals online but they all say "no", with no reason provided, after having spent ages filling out the forms.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 17th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    sparky130a

"Admiral" return an acceptable price (just over a hundred quid a year), literally anyone else is 3-10 times this.
    And was what they provided for that premium acceptable?

And trust me, if Admiral aren't "mainstream" i don't know who is...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8,984 Posts
    • 6,778 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    "Admiral" return an acceptable price (just over a hundred quid a year), literally anyone else is 3-10 times this. I tried a couple of individuals online but they all say "no", with no reason provided, after having spent ages filling out the forms.
    There must be something amiss for companies to quote £300 to £1000 or decline to quote. Have Admiral missed something or is their proposed policy full of high excesses or exclusions?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,635Users online

Martin's Twitter