Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 6Thanks
    chamelious
    Insuring first home- struggling
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    Insuring first home- struggling 16th Mar 17 at 10:40 AM
    I've used a few comparison sites to get prices for my and my partners first home. I'm only getting 7 or 8 results from each, and they range from affordable to ridiculous, but they're all from rubbish companies I've never heard of.

I can't think of any reason why i'd be struggling to get results from reputable dealers, the policy details are literally as standard as you can possibly get. Can anyone shed any light?

At the mo the only option i can see is go for the cheapest one (admiral) and just hope we never need it.
    Last edited by chamelious; 16-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Page 1
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    At the mo the only option i can see is go for the cheapest one (admiral) and just hope we never need it.
    Originally posted by chamelious
    Of course you'll hope you'll never need it

I am with Aviva, 'twas very reasonable. You might not need all of the add ons that increase the premium. Go through topcashback too (I am due 50 ish cashback from my policy.

• chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chamelious
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    Hm. I'm not sure you've understood the issue.

Aviva isn't an option for me, nor is any mainstream recognisable vendor.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 16th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 6,647 Thanks
    pimento
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    What do they say when you phone them for a quote rather that using a comparison site?

By 'them' I mean Aviva.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 16th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 13,844 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    What kind of property are you trying to insure? Have you ever ben rejected for insurance or had a policy cancelled in the past?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 16th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    The actual post code has a strong bearing on cost of insuring property; are you in an area that might be considered as having a high risk?
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chamelious
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    The area is not high risk, its a standard terraced house and i've never had any kind of claim for anything, although this will be my first buildings/contents insurance which is the only reason i can think.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    Aviva isn't an option for me, nor is any mainstream recognisable vendor.
    Are you saying Admiral aren't mainstream or recognisable? Why do you need an insurer which is mainstream and/or recognisable anyway? If you've never had insurance before, how do you know which insurers are "rubbish"?
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chamelious
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    I checked out reviews for Admiral and literally couldn't find a positive one.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I checked out reviews for Admiral and literally couldn't find a positive one.
    I've used them for both home and motor insurance. They're fine.

As with anything else, the tendency is only to bother writing online reviews if you've got something to moan about. People don't rave about how great their insurer is if all they've done is what they were paid to do.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 4,743 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    An insurance company is only as good or bad when the policy holder comes to claim.

Usually as well these insurance companies with weird names are off shoots of more well known brands
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 16th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,325 Posts
    • 10,766 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    - plenty of big names do not use the comparison sites- have you tried them direct?

- many of the unfamiliar cheapo ones may be underwritten by larger names.

-your bank/mortgage provider may be an option (rarely competitive though).
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 16th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 909 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    rtho782
    Admiral are massive, our cars are with them and our household insurance.

Not exactly an unknown name....
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • pimento
    • By pimento 16th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 6,647 Thanks
    pimento
    What did Aviva say when you called them?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • chamelious
    • By chamelious 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chamelious
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors. I've already wasted enough time on this.

Many thanks for the help all.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 8,972 Posts
    • 11,186 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Check a flood risk website - maybe it's near a river or something. I had a 'hidden' river behind one of my houses which put it into a high risk category. Wouldn't have known it was even there.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 16th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 53,923 Thanks
    LEJC
    I'm sorry but I think you may be approaching home insurance in possibly the wrong way.

A home insurance is not a waste of money nor is it a waste of time to actually find the one that suits you and your circumstances best.
    What is a waste is spending out for something that is unsuitable and wont provide you with the cover that you need.

Your home is a major investment....make sure you protect it correctly.
    Spending a little time now to get the correct policy,be that with an online company or through a broker may well be the best couple of hours you spend IF you are ever in the unfortunate position of having to claim.
    frugal October...45.59 of 40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan 41.60/40
    Feb 54.58/40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar 37.02/40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 62 out 77 in ...13.96 spend
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9,184 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors. I've already wasted enough time on this.

Many thanks for the help all.

I hope you have treated the rest of the house buying process with more care and patience. Getting the right buildings and contents cover is essential, some insurers may not offer the cover you need. Buying a house is time consuming and stressful, you have to expect difficulties.

I would urge you to think again on this. You need the right cover at the right price and it isn't always found by visiting comparison sites. Ask friends and relatives, try a broker, but don't repeat don't, accept a quote just because it is cheap!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 4,470 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    eddddy
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors.
    If there really is some kind of issue with the property which means most mainstream insurers won't insure it, you should find out what it is before you commit to buying it.

You might get some insight by phoning insurance companies and/or local brokers.

I've already wasted enough time on this.
    Good luck with owning a property.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 8,598 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Been with Admiral for car insurance for years, no bother at all, sorted out a no fault claim easily.

Not sure exactly what you are wanting but if you put in minimal effort you'll get minimal return.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - 163
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

12,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin