Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 25_and_Skint
    • By 25_and_Skint 16th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    25_and_Skint
    Owe Insurance in France due to account not being closed :/
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    Owe Insurance in France due to account not being closed :/ 16th Mar 17 at 10:02 AM
    Hi all,

I lived in France for a brief period last year and took out (obligatory) room insurance through my bank account. When I left, I shut down my bank account, but it appears that my insurance didn't get cancelled. I've just had an email from France Contentieux (a debt collection service) chasing me for the sum of 106.35.

I'm not sure who's at fault, because as anyone who lives there will know, French bureaucracy is a nightmare!

Although my bank wasn't with them, my insurance was under HSBC.

Anyway, my questions is, should I pay? What would happen if I didn't?! I don't really have much of a credit history (no credit cards/mortgages etc., only a phone contract), so I don't want to get a bad rating, and I also don't want to get in trouble if I go back to France :/

Thanks!
    **2015 2 challenge**

**Debt free by April 2015 - 200/-1800**
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    huckster
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    Won't affect you in the UK, unless they either get a French court judgement trasferred to UK or they issue a court claim in the UK.

Chances are that they won't bother. Best to write to the French Insurers office, just explaining what happened and that you thought the policy would be cancelled on closing Bank account. Ask them to backdate the cancellatlon to the relevant date as the Insurance was no longer required.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,024Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin