Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7,420Posts
    • 1,697Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Minimum contract - notification
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    Minimum contract - notification 16th Mar 17 at 10:01 AM
    I am assuming that a service provider is under no obligation to notify customers when their minimum contract period has expired ?
    I have just noticed that, my 14 per month, 2Gb, three contract expires in 3 weeks time and three are offering a 9 per month, 4Gb, unlimited calls, unlimited txt alternative - that I would have missed, had I not had my wits about me........
    Isn't it about time that ALL service providers (power, phones, ISPs etc etc) were under an obligation to notify customers when their minimum contract period is up, giving us the chance to look for a better deal or to change providers ?
Page 1
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    The expectation is that you make a note of the relevant dates. You could do this on a calendar or set an alarm on your phone/ laptop/ tablet.

Do you expect service providers to remind you of birthdays and anniversaries?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    The expectation is that you make a note of the relevant dates. You could do this on a calendar or set an alarm on your phone/ laptop/ tablet.

Do you expect service providers to remind you of birthdays and anniversaries?
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    No but - surely they (being the ones who collect your money) - should be capable of informing you of the contract expiration
    unless of course (shock horror !!) - they hope that many people don't realise and continue paying the same rates as previously (eg Mobile phone contract when a phone has been paid for - many people continue paying the same rates for years afterwards)
    Mine is a SIM only contract
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 16-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    I am assuming that a service provider is under no obligation to notify customers when their minimum contract period has expired ?
    I have just noticed that, my 14 per month, 2Gb, three contract expires in 3 weeks time and three are offering a 9 per month, 4Gb, unlimited calls, unlimited txt alternative - that I would have missed, had I not had my wits about me........
    Isn't it about time that ALL service providers (power, phones, ISPs etc etc) were under an obligation to notify customers when their minimum contract period is up, giving us the chance to look for a better deal or to change providers ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

I would agree but would also say its a waste of time posting here .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    No but - surely they (being the ones who collect your money) - should be capable of informing you of the contract expiration
    unless of course (shock horror !!) - they hope that many people don't realise and continue paying the same rates as previously (eg Mobile phone contract when a phone has been paid for - many people continue paying the same rates for years afterwards)
    Mine is a SIM only contract
    But that's the point surely, it's not a contract expiration, it's a rolling monthly contract with a minimum term. It's entirely your responsibility to check what you're paying.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    Yes - but this works to the advantage of the companies - rather than the consumer.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 18,172 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    No they shouldn't, from a completely selfish point of view! Because people that carry on paying more than they could be paying allow others like me to get bigger discounts!

Also, there does come a point when people have to take responsibility for themselves rather than being spoon fed everything. Just my opinion anyway

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 18,504 Posts
    • 8,732 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    A rolling contract does not have an "expiration" though. Just because there is a minimum term does not mean the contract somehow expires at the end of that term.

If cancelling a contract at the end of the minimum term is so important, why don't you simply diarise it?
    unless of course (shock horror !!) - they hope that many people don't realise and continue paying the same rates as previously
    That's exactly their business model. I don't understand your problem with it?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 17th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    The problem is that so many people have got outrageously good deals (eg I'm on the third year of free broadband!!) the Companies need to have some customers paying the ticket price - or they would go bust!
    As per post # 7 , I'm happy to diarise renewal/expiry dates -I'd hate it if everyone got reminded as deals would rapidly dry up
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,361Posts Today

13,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin