Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 16th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,799Posts
    • 358Thanks
    hubb
    Windows 7 hangs when trying to check for updates
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    Windows 7 hangs when trying to check for updates 16th Mar 17 at 9:50 AM
    My Windows 7 setting have always been set to automatically check for updates but I have noticed that it hasn't updated since Nov 2016. STill my settings are on automatic updates and when I "check for updates" it checks but hangs endlessly. I have re-started the computer to no avail.

Can anyone help please ?
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    Hi, first step would be to try microsofts "fix-it" tool here :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Let us know how that goes for you - It had mixed results
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    After that try doing them 1 by 1, then 5 by 5 till you figure out the blocker, you may need to reboot between some updates and when you install some updates more may appear and it may be those that the "difficult" one is needing.

I once spent 6 hours in an internet cafe doing this for a friend, they paid for the super grand latte's !
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 16th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    I downloaded the 5 Windows6.1-KB3164033-x64 files and installed them (took ages and a couple of reboots) I now can check for updates successfully but now it says "downloading 41 updates - 0kb total and 0% complete" which now hangs endlessly.

The reason I was prompted to update (not sure why windows decided to ignore updating since last November) was because I had installed Adobe LIghtroom 6 update which now can't run because of a missing runtime 1-1-0.dll
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    I have had similar situations where i have just left it like that overnight and by the morning it had kicked in and updated successfully.
    Other times not.

If you have the time and inclanation then it might be fruitfull trying Edwards suggestion.
    If it were me, im lazy and would at least try leaving it overnight first.
    (First editing the power settings so it doesnt go to sleep !)
    • hubb
    • By hubb 16th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    It's just started to show progress downloading so will give it a chance.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    ^^ Boom
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:06 PM
    They do use a sort of Torrent type file transfer (Akamai) so sometimes you have to wait till files are available.

Funny how they say 5 and then bam there are more to come.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 16th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    Gambler101
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    Hi, first step would be to try microsofts "fix-it" tool here :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Let us know how that goes for you - It had mixed results
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Why does it need users to start installing "fix it" tools.

How about they ensure that the software they sell actually works as described for once.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Mar 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Welcome to the whacky world of Microsoft.

My current pet hate is buying an xbox game and then having to download 50+Gig of updates before it will even play !!

Put another disk in the box FFS
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 16,996 Posts
    • 11,178 Thanks
    molerat
    I had my son in law's lappy the other week to change the BIOS battery and noticed it hadn't updated for many months and cpu was running at 25% on a dual core so a classic symptom. Left it running from afternoon all night, in the morning it had found updates timed at 0400 !
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 16th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 5,230 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

had a similar problem sometime ago and this helped.
    Y'all take care now.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 16th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    How about they ensure that the software they sell actually works as described for once.
    Originally posted by Gambler101
    You know it always amazes me that every version of Micro$oft Windows is full of security issues. You would think they would write secure software from the ground up.

For Win10 they are pushing way more than "OS and Security updates", they reset your preferences, mess up installed software then reset their own commission earning software.

Over 224 privacy settings in Win10

They also prevent you from disabling them sharing your work practices, all you can do is reduce it.

We are paying for the broadband connection and they are stealing it not just with downloads but uploads too.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Completely secure software is impossible for a human being to write.
    Microsoft or no.

Most of the issues you outline are only prevalent in the home version of the software and although that is not an excuse, it is trivial to upgrade to pro version where you can reduce the telemetry that W10 sends home to virtually zero

If you are still concerned, then review this article on blocking m$ telemetry at the firewall level
    http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-spying-on-you-using-just-windows-firewall/

However this is off topic and best in a related thread, the OP's issue is resolved

Andy
    Last edited by AndyPix; 16-03-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Tarambor
    My Windows 7 setting have always been set to automatically check for updates but I have noticed that it hasn't updated since Nov 2016. STill my settings are on automatic updates and when I "check for updates" it checks but hangs endlessly. I have re-started the computer to no avail.

Can anyone help please ?
    Originally posted by hubb
    Sadly yes I can, I deal with this on a daily basis with some of the older stuff we have at work.

Install KB3172605 downloadable from Microsoft.com
    • john539
    • By john539 17th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    john539
    It's amazing that after all these years we still have to deal with rubbish software and that we can't have an operating system/browser that isn't rock stable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

369Posts Today

4,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin