Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 16th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 154Posts
    • 706Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    Effective treatments for migraines?
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    Effective treatments for migraines? 16th Mar 17 at 9:31 AM
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for relieving migraines. Have tried so many painkillers and GP just prescribes more painkillers that don't work whenever I go back to them about my issue.
Page 1
    • myonlysunshine
    • By myonlysunshine 16th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    myonlysunshine
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    After various medications didn't work for me over the years (I know that's not the case for everyone though!) I had a Daith piercing done in my ear Feb 2016. I've gone from 2 migraines a week to one every few months which I can cope with.

Have a read about it, It's medicine free and my kids think I look cool!
    Second purse £34.75/£50.00
    Third purse £0.00

Paying £5.00 a week in second purse

Total stockpile value
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 16th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    Never heard of that one before!
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 13,957 Posts
    • 74,933 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    "For those of you who are needle-adverse, locating the daith piercing location may still help provide relief. If you begin to have a migraine, take your thumb and middle finger and gently massage that location on your ear. Switch ears after a few minutes, or massage both at the same time. If you notice significant relief, and you deal with regular headaches, a daith piercing could be a worthwhile solution."

http://mnphysicalmedicine.com/2015/10/02/daith-piercings-for-migraines/
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • flissh
    • By flissh 16th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    flissh
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    Has your gp prescribed you Rizatriptan? These mostly work for me. My migraines seem to be hormone triggered. Had mostly gone then I started taking HRT and back they came. took me ages to put 2 and 2 together. I have stopped the HRT and they are getting less frequent.
    When they were at their worse I was prescribed Pizotifen. That was awful.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    This may sound a bit strange but botox in the forehead can cure migraines.
    I did it for vanity in 2003 and haven't had one since and I used to want to chop my head off.
    It is now a recognised therapeutic effect of botox with clinical trial data to back it up.
    Make sure they don't give you Vulcan eyebrows though!
    • vodkachick68
    • By vodkachick68 16th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    vodkachick68
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    I must admit I take sumatriptan with extra strength paracetamol and this works a treat for me. Mine are hormone related and can last up to three days I'm not saying this will work for you but it could be worth asking your doctor? Good luck as migraines can be so debilitating.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 35,863 Posts
    • 151,004 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    Ibuprofen lysine as soon as you feel the start of a migraine. It works faster than normal ibuprofen. Followed by one single cup of coffee.

Works 80% of the time and when it fails it is because I waited too long before taking the tablets.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 16th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    Do you have an idea of the cause of your migranes? Some people's migranes are triggered by foodstuffs, so a change of diet works for them. Keeping a food and migrane diary to see if there are any relationships might be worth trying.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 17th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Going on a high fat, low carb diet has been proven very successful in treating migraines. The body needs fat to work properly, but todays diets are low fat. The energy is coming from carbs, which is sugar energy and does not work in the same way. Fat energy is what you need so eat plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil, acocado oil, animal fat and butter/ghee.

Eliminate dairy (except butter) wheat, nuts including peanuts, all soy including soy additives in pre packaged foods. all manufactured cooking oils, sugar and sweeteners, refined carbs, and basically anything that isn't classed as a wholefood.
    If something contains more than one ingredient, avoid it.

Also add in omega 3, good quality vitamin D3 with K2, and magnesium.

If you can manage this for 3 months and be symptom free, you could try reintroducing foods one at a time.
    We did this in our family but have chosen not to reintroduce anything.
    Last edited by Pop Up Pirate; 17-03-2017 at 7:40 AM.
    • Mayflower10cat
    • By Mayflower10cat 17th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    Mayflower10cat
    I might as well pass this bit of info on as who knows, someone might benefit from it.

Completely off topic but bear with me - whilst googling for more details on the use of an antihistamine - Cyproheptadine (Periactin) for stimulating appetite in cats, I happened upon various references to it's use for relieving vascular/migraine type headaches.

Might be worth mentioning to your GP.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 20th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 10,394 Posts
    • 17,828 Thanks
    divadee
    Botox can work. But quite extreme.

What my ex found was brilliant and he suffered with haemaplegic migraines was 3 asprin in full fat Coke. The neurologist he saw also said this really did work well.
    • marrowgirl
    • By marrowgirl 20th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    marrowgirl
    I find mine are mainly tension related. Meds help to some extent but I have noticed the neck exercises I do to help a trapped nerve seem to take the edge off and can even stop a migraine in its tracks if I get to it early enough. I use the ones from Mark Perrenjones (youtube). I feel like a bit of a numpty doing them (double chin anyone?) but it works for me.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,567Posts Today

7,606Users online

Martin's Twitter