Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 16th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 147Posts
    • 9Thanks
    applepicker
    Is this person just trying to get her hands on lady's inheritance?
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    Is this person just trying to get her hands on lady's inheritance? 16th Mar 17 at 9:25 AM
    I live in a town on the South Coast and I do gardening in a rich part of the town. This old woman (90) has a bungalow and it's probably worth £500,000. I have worked there for 5 years and in that whole time this woman (mid-late 50) a school TA has been coming round and seeing her. Apparently she takes no money and looks after her. All the neighbours think she's a carer, but she doesn't get any money. They first met a few years ago when she and her husband did gardening for her. I think she just tried this when her kids grew up and she wanted a job, she's now a teaching assistant in a school. She has never been very friendly to me and was always in conflict with another lady who worked there before and did the cleaning. The cleaner said she was a stirrer and conniving. Recently she came out of hospital and I went around to collect some money for sorting out the bins. She marched up the drive didn't say hello to me which is normal and said to the carers I am the next of kin. She seems to be trying to control everything about the lady's life. The old lady thinks she's wonderful and keeps saying she's the best friend ever- goes to her bed in hospital etc She says she's teacher and ex-nurse etc etc Her husband who is also wonderful according to her does her accounts and manages her money. The ex-cleaner who got sick of it all and quit told me the old lady was always talking about who was on the will etc The old lady seems a bit nuts to me. For example, she's German and actually met Hitler. She said to me she was told in high school that Hitler killed himself when he heard about all the Jews being gassed and couldn't live with himself and that it was the men who surrounded Hitler who were responsible for it. She still absolutely believes that lol, After hearing this and other crazy things I think she's quite gullible.

Have I got this wrong, is the lady in her 50s whole friendship based on her getting the inheritance? Will she definitely get it? Apparently, the German lady has a nephew in Germany, she also has a genuine friend (another old lady) who lives down the road. Her husband who was rich and had all the money (is dead) has lots of nephews and nieces.
    Last edited by applepicker; 16-03-2017 at 9:28 AM.
Page 2
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 16th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    tensandunits
    Also, a woman who is now in her 90s would have left school well before Hitler died.
    Originally posted by tea lover
    I'm trying to do the maths. Hitler shot himself 72 years ago. If the lady's in her 90s she could have met him.

OP I think you might be better off keeping out of this one, unless you have reason to suspect elder abuse.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 16th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Could it be that this gardener isa bit jealous of the old ladies wealth?. Therefore he sees anyone being helpful to her as gold diggers rather than assisting her for altruistic reasons.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 16th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Thor soak that's was what I was thinking too.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 14,756 Posts
    • 36,685 Thanks
    elsien
    Has anybody seen Bluelass lately? Just wondering.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 16th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 5,428 Thanks
    Peter333
    Either the OP IS the 50 something woman and she is testing the water to see what people think of her, (I mean she does know an AWFUL lot of info!) Or she is bitter and jealous of the actual woman, because she got in there first.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    LilElvis
    I'm trying to do the maths. Hitler shot himself 72 years ago. If the lady's in her 90s she could have met him.

OP I think you might be better off keeping out of this one, unless you have reason to suspect elder abuse.
    Originally posted by tensandunits
    The query about the age of the old lady wasn't about whether she could have met him, which of course she could, but whether she would have been in school/education at the time of his death.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 16th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    barbarawright
    The query about the age of the old lady wasn't about whether she could have met him, which of course she could, but whether she would have been in school/education at the time of his death.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    The OP says the lady is 90. So born in 1926 or 1927. So 18 in May 1945. And presumably still in school
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 24,664 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Whether or not she saw/knew Hitler means nothing. What matters is that she is HAPPY with the situation as it is. The old lady may well have appointed the 50 year old as next of kin - if she has no-one else, why does it matter?
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 24,664 Thanks
    thorsoak
    It matters not whether or not the old lady met/knew Hitler - she has been in the UK for over 50 years - and is happy to call the 50-year old lady her next of kin - if she has no-one else, why not? Or does the gardener want the old lady to adopt him?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 4,931 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    After 5 years of regular visits to an unrelated old dear, I think she'd have earned the inheritance even at minimum wage rates. It's the longest and worst scam I have ever seen!

Butt out. Nunnaya.
    May GC £215/£50 (oops)
    April 2016 GC: £24.09/ £20
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 11,476 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Also, a woman who is now in her 90s would have left school well before Hitler died.
    Originally posted by tea lover
    No, she would have been about 18 then. (90 years ago was 1927, and Hitler died 18 years later, in 1945.)
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    LilElvis
    The OP says the lady is 90. So born in 1926 or 1927. So 18 in May 1945. And presumably still in school
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    I don't dispute she could have been in education in 1945. I will check with my mother in law - born in 1931 and a member of the Hitler Youth (as was required by the Reich) - what the school leaving age was at the time.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 16th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 10,342 Posts
    • 21,387 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I hope she does leave everything to this women.

Sounds like she would be lost without her and her husband and is very happy to have such helpful friends.

Good luck to them.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,619 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I don't dispute she could have been in education in 1945. I will check with my mother in law - born in 1931 and a member of the Hitler Youth (as was required by the Reich) - what the school leaving age was at the time.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    In the UK, it was 14.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 16th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Bath cube
    It's funny (not ha ha) how if the younger women was being paid as a private carer by the elderly woman the gardener wouldn't mind that. But if the elderly woman decided to leave the property to her upon her death then he would mind hmm envy is bright green in his eyes. It's also interesting how the gardener only sees this lady and her husband call round but not any of the old woman's family members.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Mar 17, 10:10 PM
    • 16,980 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Pollycat
    In the UK, it was 14.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Yes, and I'd really doubt that it was 18 years in Germany.

The OP has edited the original post so no idea what was changed.
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 17th Mar 17, 12:26 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    applepicker
    Maybe the lady in her 50s is suspicious of you - and suspects that you have designs on the money of the lady in her 90s! Suspicions work both ways.
    Originally posted by thorsoak

Well she was/is stirring with the cleaner who was there for ten years and got me fired once by stirring up trouble. The cleaner got my job back after a year. (The inheritance lady) has stirred up trouble for both of us, and it could be that she sees everyone as a threat to the money!
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 17th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    applepicker
    In the UK, it was 14.
    Originally posted by Mojisola

She met Hitler at a sports competition when she was a girl and he shook her hand. She doesn't seem to realise what a big deal this is. Can't be many people around now who shook his hand.
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 17th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    applepicker
    It's funny (not ha ha) how if the younger women was being paid as a private carer by the elderly woman the gardener wouldn't mind that. But if the elderly woman decided to leave the property to her upon her death then he would mind hmm envy is bright green in his eyes. It's also interesting how the gardener only sees this lady and her husband call round but not any of the old woman's family members.
    Originally posted by Bath cube

Because that would be normal. People just aren't this nice. If she lived in a council flat a random ex-gardener (inheritance lady) wouldn't be coming around 5 evenings a week and doing all this. And if she is a mother Teresa then why is she so mean to me, the cleaner before and why did she get rid of another woman before who was helping the German lady years ago by stirring up trouble?
    • applepicker
    • By applepicker 17th Mar 17, 12:42 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    applepicker
    Either the OP IS the 50 something woman and she is testing the water to see what people think of her, (I mean she does know an AWFUL lot of info!) Or she is bitter and jealous of the actual woman, because she got in there first.
    Originally posted by Peter333

I don't like her because I feel or suspect she has plotted this whole thing rather than it happening naturally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin