Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CVP
    • By CVP 16th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CVP
    Getting Rid of Difficult Lodgers - Please Help!
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    Getting Rid of Difficult Lodgers - Please Help! 16th Mar 17 at 8:57 AM
    Hi all

I have just had some difficult lodgers move out and would really appreciate some advice on how to handle the final stages of their departure as I think they're aiming to make it as stressful as possible!

I rented a single room to the first lodger 2 years ago; after about a year she asked if her girlfriend could move in and they would take the double room that was available at that time. I said that was fine, but unfortunately it was many months later that her girlfriend finally moved in, by which time the double room was occupied. They've subsequently been sharing the single room for the last 5 months. Neither of them had a written lodger agreement.

I didn't mention the girlfriend paying any rent or bills at the time (which I really regret now obviously) as it was a pretty casual conversation and I figured we would sort it out once the girlfriend got a job (which she still hasn't) or I would add on additional cost to their rent for the double room to cover it (which then didn't go through). It didn't occur to me that she would begrudge paying her way as I knew them both fairly well - or so I thought - and didn't think they would be !!!!!!!!!!s.

When I gave them notice via email and text I asked that we discuss the financial contribution the girlfriend would make for having stayed in the flat rent-free for 5 months. They ignored both messages completely, and ignored me in person for most of their notice period. Needless to say it made for a really stressful living situation for me.

Now they've left but not returned either set of keys, and demanded the deposit back in full stating that the girlfriend paying bills is a "separate conversation". As the deposit is only £375 I don't feel that I owe them much/any of it given the circumstances.

I guess my questions are -
    1. Am I being unreasonable asking for contribution to bills, irrespective of that not being in writing at the outset?
    2. At what point can I change the locks and charge them for that? I can't seem to find any clear answers on this one.

I would really appreciate any help, as I'm currently driving myself mad worrying about it. They've literally only moved around the corner too, which doesn't help!
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 28,710 Posts
    • 18,132 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Any news OP ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • CVP
    • By CVP 19th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CVP
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I've returned the deposit, and have been asked to send copies of the bills to the girlfriend so she can see what she owes...although she was already trying to work this out by excluding any time she was away from the flat. Sigh.

The plot thickens with the remaining two lodgers: I found out by pure coincidence that the four girls had been looking to move out all together (giving me 3 days' notice instead of the month in the written agreements these two do have) to share a house nearby. It fell through because they couldn't afford it. I think I will have to ask them to leave now too, as clearly they are not to be trusted. Shame.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 7,976 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I've returned the deposit, and have been asked to send copies of the bills to the girlfriend so she can see what she owes...although she was already trying to work this out by excluding any time she was away from the flat. Sigh.

The plot thickens with the remaining two lodgers: I found out by pure coincidence that the four girls had been looking to move out all together (giving me 3 days' notice instead of the month in the written agreements these two do have) to share a house nearby. It fell through because they couldn't afford it. I think I will have to ask them to leave now too, as clearly they are not to be trusted. Shame.
    Originally posted by CVP
    Why are you sighing? She never agreed to anything.

And on that note, I think it's best you stay away from lodgers.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter