Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beeebeee
    • By beeebeee 16th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    beeebeee
    BEWARE BT! contracts are not contracts
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    BEWARE BT! contracts are not contracts 16th Mar 17 at 8:31 AM
    BT are currently offering some really good deals but beware! I took one last year for 2 years. After about six months they raised the price...I told them I was on a 2 year deal but they insisted their small print allowed for them to raise the price. Seems the contract only works one way. I left them...be warned!:
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 9,081 Posts
    • 3,686 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    Welcome to the real world .
    Same goes for other ISPs as posted for over twelve months on this forum .
    For me its pointless leaving and joining another ISP who are also going to put the prices up .
    Far better to negotiate with current supplier for a discount as many have done .

The contract you signed up to includes .
    ΔWe may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 16-03-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:53 AM
    But what I found weird was that BT gave me £175 cashback up-front to sign up - then a few months later increased their prices and let me leave.

So overall, I ended up getting free internet for a few months as well as making a profit on the deal - and I kept their Youview box and still use it.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 17th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 7,976 Posts
    • 2,913 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    Er no. Why do you believe a contract means the price is fixed? Pricing has absolutely no relevance, as the last BT contract I perused made no mention of costs. This was because the amount you are required to pay 'the Tariff' does not form any part of the contract itself and rarely does.

As for being allowed to leave if they raise prices, this was a suggestion from the regulator, so if you request cessation within the allowed timeframe this is agreed, and permits cancellation - but only if within the stated timescales.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter