Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 16th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,268Posts
    • 453Thanks
    kah22
    Richard Bertinet's sweet pastry
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    Richard Bertinet's sweet pastry 16th Mar 17 at 8:14 AM
    My normal pastry recipe is the one Delia Smith recommends. Yesterday, however, I thought I'd like to experiment and make a much richer dough and decided to use French Chef Richard Bertinet's recipe. It's as follows:

Ingredients
    350g/12oz plain flour
    pinch salt
    125g/4˝oz unsalted butter, flattened out in between two sheets of greaseproof paper to 1cm/˝in thick, chilled in the fridge
    125g/4˝oz caster sugar
    2 free-range eggs, whole and 1 egg, yolk only
    1 egg, yolk only, beaten for egg-wash

Now I've tried that but ended up with something that resembles a crumble mix. Not a pliable dough

Has anyone used Bertinet's recipe, how did you find it? Any advice on this particular recipe. At the moment it's sitting in the fridge so should be fresh for a day or so

Kevin
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
Page 1
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 16th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    I googled his recipe and you have all the ingredients correct but did you read the method. o no you didn't. You have over worked it. You could either leave it and make a crumble or just add water to make a dough. Hope this helps.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    kah22
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    I don't think I've overworked it. I used a food processor thirty seconds tops at the most. I accept Bertinet suggests using hands

As this is just my first go I'll have another few attempts, it seems a great pastry

Kevin
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 23,227 Posts
    • 48,534 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    I googled his recipe and you have all the ingredients correct but did you read the method. o no you didn't.
    Originally posted by grunnie
    Panto season comes early to the OS board!

Pate sucree is notoriously difficult to handle.

OP - why not take the crumble, press into the base of your selected pan (like cheesecake) and chill thoroughly before baking?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • kah22
    • By kah22 16th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    kah22
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    Pate sucree is notoriously difficult to handle......why not take the crumble, press into the base of your selected pan (like cheesecake) and chill thoroughly before baking?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    That thought had crossed my mind and I might well do that at the same time part of what I'm trying to do is develop my pastry skills
    • miffedatparkingcharge
    • By miffedatparkingcharge 16th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    miffedatparkingcharge
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    I was intruiged, found this detail online maybe giving a bit more detail:

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/sweet-pastry
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    Hi
    I've not tried this recipe but I know sweet pastry is very short so crumbly & difficult to handle.
    I've seen some chefs roll it into a fat sausage & then slice pieces off it at the thickness you want the pastry crust. They then assemble it like a jigsaw puzzle in the tin, using your fingers to push the bits together at the joins. Chill it before you try to slice it.
    Jen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,502Posts Today

6,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin