Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 16th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 271Posts
    • 32Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Easyjet passengers told they'll have to fly on Latvian airline's planes
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Easyjet passengers told they'll have to fly on Latvian airline's planes 16th Mar 17 at 7:56 AM
    Passengers due to fly with Easyjet this summer may end up flying on aircraft operated by Latvian-based carrier SmartLynx...
    Read the full story:
    'Easyjet passengers with summer bookings told they'll have to fly on Latvian airline's planes - your rights'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 16th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    So ???

Common within the industry (even happens with full service airlines)

Is there a purpose to your story ? Will the PAX have to drink Latvian beer/wine on board and eat traditional Latvian sandwiches instead of an Easyjet bacon roll.
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 16th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    Another hysterical non story. When did MSE turn into the Daily Mail?

This happens all the time. Many UK tour operators hire other operator's aircraft. Why pick on Easyjet? No mention that Thomas Cook will also be leasing SmartLynx aircraft this summer - and have done for a few years. And why was there no coverage on MSE when Easyjet leased aircraft from Titan Airways?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 17,542 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    Seems that clause in the brand licence from Stelios to use the easyJet brand name refering to aircraft operating easyJet flights must be painted with easyJet on the outside of the aircraft no longer applies.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 17,542 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    ....And why was there no coverage on MSE when Easyjet leased aircraft from Titan Airways?
    Originally posted by isasmurf
    One was a B757 aircraft based at STN which was externally painted in easyJet livery, so the passengers might not have noticed.
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 16th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    Seems that clause in the brand licence from Stelios to use the easyJet brand name refering to aircraft operating easyJet flights must be painted with easyJet on the outside of the aircraft no longer applies.
    Originally posted by richardw
    The brand licence allows Easyjet to lease in non-easyjet branded aircraft to meet operational requirements within annual limits
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 17,542 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    Btw http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/53998-easyjet-bumps-smartlynx-a320-summer-lease-portfolio
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 6,027 Posts
    • 7,305 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    Customers who booked a flight get told they'll have to go by plane shocker.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 17,908 Posts
    • 40,782 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    A slow news day at MSE Towers?

I don't know what they expect, do they want people to be outraged that Easyjet have outsourced from another airline rather than cancel flights?

Now that would be a story wouldn't it 'Easyjet cancels summer flights due to outraged passengers cancelling bookings because they won't be on orange painted planes'.

Really MSE, stirring up trouble just for the sake of it is pretty low.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 16-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 16th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 36,613 Posts
    • 5,862,203 Thanks
    One-Eye
    This is common practice, it's no big deal and 99% of passengers won't care and may not even notice. Sometimes the airlines swap the planes within their fleets according to demand for particular flights. Your booking might state you will be travelling on a B737 but you actually get to fly on a larger B757.

This also happens on the railways and in the bus and coach industry. Don't be surprised if you book for a Virgin East Coast journey from Kings Cross to Leeds and end up travelling on an East Midlands Trains unit.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Clearly standard airline practise of codesharing is a travesty now and I should be writing to KLM for having the return leg of my journey to the US with them be on Delta due to the severe emotional distress this caused me and I will then go to the Omnomnombussybomb to assert my rights to a million pounds in compensation.

Seriously, what's wrong with the Latvian airline? Nothing, but clearly some xenophobes have decided that anything from Latvia is bound to be awful or unsafe so they don't want to fly on it (because they don't understand anything), so MSE hits the OUTRAGE KLAXON.

This website is crap.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 17,542 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    Clearly standard airline practise of codesharing....
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    This is not codesharing, it's wet leasing to operate flights.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    This is not codesharing, it's wet leasing to operate flights.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Good spot - either way, who cares? The airline's going to be safe. EU airline regulations are ridiculously stringent.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 16th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 23,305 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    So what?

I've ended up on stuff operated by Titan and others in the past and haven't cared one bit.

In fact, Titan Airways have built a very successful business based around ACMI to other airlines, either on a scheduled basis (as this is) or because of a misfortune. Smartlynx, I'd imagine, have done similar.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 16th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    blindman
    This website is crap.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Nope-

The standard of journalism is.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Passengers due to fly with Easyjet this summer may end up flying on aircraft operated by Latvian-based carrier SmartLynx...
    Read the full story:
    'Easyjet passengers with summer bookings told they'll have to fly on Latvian airline's planes - your rights'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Originally posted by MSE Callum
    and the point is???..............................

The MSE articles of late are akin to the front page of the gutter press.

Book a flight you get a plane. Simples

Quit scaremongering. It does the site no favours.

JFI. They've leased 3. 2 will be based at LGW and one at LTN.

TCX have 2 Smartlynx this summer, 1 Titan and 3 Avion Express, so why the big 'problem' when EZY do it?
    Last edited by leylandsunaddict; 16-03-2017 at 2:00 PM.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 16th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    agarnett
    and the point is???..............................

The MSE articles of late are akin to the front page of the gutter press.

Book a flight you get a plane. Simples

Quit scaremongering. It does the site no favours.

JFI. They've leased 3. 2 will be based at LGW and one at LTN.

TCX have 2 Smartlynx this summer, 1 Titan and 3 Avion Express, so why the big 'problem' when EZY do it?
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Sorry fellas, I think I know enough about aviation, its risks and trends to argue the toss with most on here save perhaps richardw, and I would not knowingly book a flight on an ex USSR state registered, whether supposedly European safety regulated or not, wet-leased aircraft when I had intended to buy into the safety and overall consistency record of a brand like Easyjet. In practice thesedays I would rather fly Ryanair than Easyjet anyway. I don't think they wet-lease quite so much, although I did read that they may have wet-leased themselves on occasion from Smartlynx.

So, ticket "substantially not as described" - money back please would be my first thought.

flightradar24.com brings up a total of 12 airframes operating under the name Smartlynx as an apparent fleet with YL (Latvian) registration prefixes, and two more under a similar name but with Estonian registrations. Wikipedia suggests Smartlynx currently have only 9 as at March 2017. Whether the difference is explained by some other kind of leasing arrangement who knows. I can indeed find nine of the fr24.com listed registrations under the current published Latvian CAA register, but alas it doesn't disclose who the registrants may be, nor anything about the Certificate of Airworthiness dates for example. What it does appear to show is that the Latvian CAA register a total of only some 300 aircraft from the smallest to the largest (cf. over 15,000 for UK CAA I think?) and that the only Airbus on their books are the Smartlynx and 7 of those were registered in the last 12 months or so (but may have been registered earlier with different details perhaps?). Apart from these then, do the Latvian CAA have much experience with Airbus? Do they need to? I don't know. Who does the maintenance? Who own the engines and under what type of arrangement? Who are the crew?

Size-wise, Smartlynx isn't much of an operation compared to Easyjet itself which appears per fr24.com to have 267 in its fleet. And brand-wise/history-wise/reputation-wise, Smartlynx certainly is no Easyjet either.

The airline business historically has been very fickle. Ownership can change frequently behind the scenes. Companies fold and are reborn, phoenix-like, quite frequently. It is one of those areas of business where it is said that you can start with a fortune and end up with a smaller one.

The radio call sign for their aircraft appears to be Tallinn Cat (a play upon the 'Lynx' part of their current brand name I guess, and upon their greater links - forgive pun - with Estonia than with Latvia? Who knows?)

Scaremongering? In my case, should anyone doubt my intention, I prefer to call my contribution a communication of information of possible use to discerning passengers.

I suggest Easyjet will know better, or should.

The ways European states are run are not all the same. There are 32 member states of the European Aviation Safety Agency. The National Aviation Authorities vary. In theory EASA is supposed to set the standard and ensure consistency of compliance thesedays anyway. Maybe it has broad enough reach to do it. I for one do not take that as read.
    Last edited by agarnett; 16-03-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 16th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    bagand96
    As others have said, much ado about nothing.

Thomas Cook use a number of aircraft from this operator and other Eastern European companies every summer.

Monarch will also be using a SmartLynx aircraft.

On a Thomson flight you may end up on a Canadian aircraft with Canadian crew.

Jet2 are subchartering a military aircraft from the RAF! (well not 100% correct, but I'm sure MSE would spin it out that way...)
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 16th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    k3lvc
    So, ticket "substantially not as described" - money back please would be my first thought.
    Originally posted by agarnett
    Good luck with that - let us know how you get on
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 16th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    bagand96
    Scaremongering? In my case, should anyone doubt my intention, I prefer to call my contribution a communication of information of possible use to discerning passengers
    Given that you are so interested, you may find their website has an absolute wealth of information. Their fleet page http://www.smartlynx.aero/corporate/fleet has clickable links for each aircraft which offer 8 PDF docments about the aircraft including Airworthiness Review Certificate, Certificate of Airworthiness, Certificate of registration etc etc

They also have a Company Documents page http://www.smartlynx.aero/corporate/company-documents which has their Air Operators Certificate, Operating License, Insurances etc

It's fair to say easyJet will have done their homework in far more depth also.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,536Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter