Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shufmuff
    • By shufmuff 16th Mar 17, 1:16 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 5Thanks
    shufmuff
    court fine options
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:16 AM
    court fine options 16th Mar 17 at 1:16 AM
    hi, i was issues a fine two years ago, i was going through a very tough time in my life with depression and a breakdown. through my inactions during this timei was issued with a fine for driving without tax. i missed payments and then i moved away and left the fine. after some months they issued a attachemtn of earnings and increased the fine, i made many payment and i amm glad to say that i am over my illness and getting my life back on track, i would like to pay the fine in full, but what are my options, will they offer a reduced rate to clear the fine?, or would i have to appeal to reduce the amount?. the fine increased from 400 to 1400, it is now on 100 so i have paid the initial fine if that is of any help, thanks in advance for your help
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 29,968 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    hi, i was issues a fine two years ago, i was going through a very tough time in my life with depression and a breakdown. through my inactions during this timei was issued with a fine for driving without tax. i missed payments and then i moved away and left the fine. after some months they issued a attachemtn of earnings and increased the fine, i made many payment and i amm glad to say that i am over my illness and getting my life back on track, i would like to pay the fine in full, but what are my options, will they offer a reduced rate to clear the fine?, or would i have to appeal to reduce the amount?. the fine increased from 400 to 1400, it is now on 100 so i have paid the initial fine if that is of any help, thanks in advance for your help
    Originally posted by shufmuff
    Let me get this right, whats left to pay is £100, get it paid if the case, no harm in asking if they will take a lower amount if you pay it all off today or tomorrow.

Id ask for a letter or something to say its all been paid off, it might get done anyway.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Spank
    • By Spank 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Spank
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    I think it could be a typo and he's got £1000 to pay
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    The courts will not reduce a fine unless by way of appeal, but that's unlikely to succeed (or even be allowed to be heard) after such a length of time.

Contact the number on your paperwork to find out the balance and make payment. Also advise your employer (and ask the court to do the same) so the attachment of earnings is stopped.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 29,968 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    I think it could be a typo and he's got £1000 to pay
    Originally posted by Spank
    Yes that sounds more likely.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

965Posts Today

9,155Users online

Martin's Twitter