Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • msdas
    • By msdas 16th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 21Thanks
    msdas
    universal credit or JSA ?
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    universal credit or JSA ? 16th Mar 17 at 12:12 AM
    I have been self employed for a couple of years and business has taken a nose dive, no income. I have been also looking for jobs whilst working for myself, but I am struggle to cover my basic bills.
    I have now decided to close business and go on JSA to focus on looking for a job full time, I am a single Person, no dependant and not living with anyone, I thought I would claim income based JSA, but have found out my area is now a universal credit area for new claims

Questions?
    1)How does it work once self employed and then claiming universal credit

2)What documents will they need from me to claim?

3)I have heard i have to wait up to six weeks or more for first payment.

4)Will they give me an advance/loan

5)Do i have to cancel my housing benefit claim, I've heard universal credit covers that.

6)I have also heard that they will expect you to do volunteer work and they set it up
Page 1
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    I have been self employed for a couple of years and business has taken a nose dive, no income. I have been also looking for jobs whilst working for myself, but I am struggle to cover my basic bills.
    I have now decided to close business and go on JSA to focus on looking for a job full time, I am a single Person, no dependant and not living with anyone, I thought I would claim income based JSA, but have found out my area is now a universal credit area for new claims

Questions?
    1)How does it work once self employed and then claiming universal credit

2)What documents will they need from me to claim?

3)I have heard i have to wait up to six weeks or more for first payment.

4)Will they give me an advance/loan

5)Do i have to cancel my housing benefit claim, I've heard universal credit covers that.

6)I have also heard that they will expect you to do volunteer work and they set it up
    Originally posted by msdas
    You can confirm the situation in your postcode area here www.universalcreditinfo.net

If you are no longer self-employed then that shouldn't affect universal credit as long as you have fully closed down your business (informed HMRC etc.....) and are not trading at all.

Yes, you may have to wait up to 6 weeks for payment and when you claim UC your housing benefit claim will be stopped because UC cover housing costs. You can get a budget advance - see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/apply/get-advance-payment/ but it is a loan and will have to be paid back.

In terms of looking for work - if you have no restrictions on working you will have to look for full time work and show evidence you are looking for jobs

IQ
    • msdas
    • By msdas 16th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    msdas
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    Yes i have checked my postcode, it is a universal credit area.

In the past when I was on JSA,
    I had to sign on in neighbouring borough and apply for housing and council tax benefit in my borough.
    Will that complicate matters now with universal credit?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 4,051 Posts
    • 7,973 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    Yes i have checked my postcode, it is a universal credit area.

In the past when I was on JSA,
    I had to sign on in neighbouring borough and apply for housing and council tax benefit in my borough.
    Will that complicate matters now with universal credit?
    Originally posted by msdas
    You'll cancel the housing side but you can continue with the council tax reduction claim. Just keep them updated.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

7,172Users online

Martin's Twitter