Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KarenStew88
    • By KarenStew88 15th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 4Thanks
    KarenStew88
    Do we need insurance for a shared driveway?
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    Do we need insurance for a shared driveway? 15th Mar 17 at 10:57 PM
    We have a shared driveway to access the garage at the back of our house. We share this driveway with around 40+ other residents, over 7 difference entrances on our block of terrace houses.

The shared driveway is part of the deeds to the house and we all own the land jointly. The deeds don't show the property's boundary actually sharing the strip of land, we just all have access to it to get to our garages.

We are trying to deter burglars by putting up gates to the alleyways. We've had it checked out and it all seems OK legally but someone has mentioned insurance. Do we need separate insurance or does any damage caused by the gates/the gates themselves come under the house insurance? Where do I go to get this type of insurance and does anyone have any experience in asking neighbours to pay it! I'm so confused I don't see how we can make this work?
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 16th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    I am not sure what damage do you perceive these gates will cause, i.e. what risk do you want to insure against? Perhaps a bollard would be more appropriate?

There should be a joint policy to cover communal property. This should be held by your leaseholder / factor.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    How can the land be on the deeds of one house but owned jointly?

Do you mean that it is on the deeds of one house but everybody else has a ROW over it?

Or, owned by a third party (freeholder etc) and everybody has a ROW?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    There's the proverbial open manhole that somebody falls down. That's really the only insurance you need for the land, i.e. Public liability.

Plus buildings insurance for the garages themselves, if you want it. But a garage is not very expensive to build.

I don't see that having gates make any difference.

You may already have public liability insurance with your house and contents insurance.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • KarenStew88
    • By KarenStew88 16th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    KarenStew88
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    The deeds states that everyone has ROW over the land but doesn't state who owns it, there's no covenant etc. All the properties are freehold so there's no lease owner and no resident's association.

The neighbours think that the gates might damage someone's car/fall on someone etc but I agree, having a gate there is no different to using the alleys at the moment. The council have said we need to make sure that insurance is in place, but I'm assuming that it's public liability insurance???
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    Yes, it's public liability insurance. That's needed both by the owner of the land and the occupiers. If nobody you know owns the land you don't need to worry about that - that's their worry. But, as occupiers, you do need to worry. However, it may already be covered by your house/contents cover - check with your insurers, in writing.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 16th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    The deeds states that everyone has ROW over the land but doesn't state who owns it, there's no covenant etc. All the properties are freehold so there's no lease owner and no resident's association.

The neighbours think that the gates might damage someone's car/fall on someone etc but I agree, having a gate there is no different to using the alleys at the moment. The council have said we need to make sure that insurance is in place, but I'm assuming that it's public liability insurance???
    Originally posted by KarenStew88
    Perhaps you could ask the council to clarify what type of insurance they want you to have. You could also ring your own insurance company and get neighbours to ring theirs to ask them what is required.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,440Posts Today

8,527Users online

Martin's Twitter