Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mazziem54
    • By mazziem54 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mazziem54
    Online order at wrong price
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    Online order at wrong price 15th Mar 17 at 8:49 PM
    I contacted a company for details on a table they were offering online for sale a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed the spec and make of the table. I ordered it yesterday online for £480 and paid for it online. The order as accepted and I received a email confirmation of the order. Today I received an email saying the online price was incorrect and it was more than £800.

Do they have to honour the price advertised and that I paid for in good faith?
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    You need to check the terms and conditions of the website that you used.

Most online retailer t&cs say that the contract is formed when the goods are dispatched. If that's the case here, the goods were not dispatched, so there was no contract - so no breach of contract.

Put another way, it's likely that you placed an order, but the retailer did not accept your order.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 15th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,019 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    naedanger
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    I contacted a company for details on a table they were offering online for sale a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed the spec and make of the table. I ordered it yesterday online for £480 and paid for it online. The order as accepted and I received a email confirmation of the order. Today I received an email saying the online price was incorrect and it was more than £800.

Do they have to honour the price advertised and that I paid for in good faith?
    Originally posted by mazziem54
    Are you certain you have a contract? It is common for online retailers to have terms and conditions that state the order only becomes a contract after the item has been dispatched or even delivered.

If you do have a contract, and it was not an obvious pricing error, then I believe they are obliged (with a few exceptions) to supply the item for the agreed price. The exceptions include circumstances where it it not possible to complete the contract e.g. you bought a specific table and that table was destroyed (not due to their negligence) before delivery etc.
    • mazziem54
    • By mazziem54 15th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mazziem54
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    the T&C's do not state that it is a contract once delivered. They say they have a right to cancel an order. I received confirmation of the order and have confirmation of payment being taken last night.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 15th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,910 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    the T&C's do not state that it is a contract once delivered. They say they have a right to cancel an order. I received confirmation of the order and have confirmation of payment being taken last night.
    Originally posted by mazziem54
    Name the seller so that we can look at the terms.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 10,494 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    unholyangel
    What do the T&C's say? Can you provide a link so we can take a look ourselves?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • mazziem54
    • By mazziem54 15th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mazziem54
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    the company is called space & shape
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 15th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    This probably covers it

Occasionally there may be information on our site or in the Service that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, promotions, offers, product shipping charges, transit times and availability. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and to change or update information or cancel orders if any information in the Service or on any related website is inaccurate at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order).
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 10,494 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    This probably covers it

Occasionally there may be information on our site or in the Service that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, promotions, offers, product shipping charges, transit times and availability. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and to change or update information or cancel orders if any information in the Service or on any related website is inaccurate at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order).
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    Yeah they can't do that where theres a legally binding contract though. But they also try to do a few things in their T&C's that the law won't allow. Even calling them cowboys would be a bit of an understatement.

The very fact theres a pop up supposedly telling you what other people are buying would have made me run a mile from them.

However, nothing in the T&C's to indicate what constitutes acceptance. If it was a decent retailer I'd be advising to maybe argue the toss with them, as it is......I'd be wanting my money back asap & be looking elsewhere for a replacement.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    DoaM
    When you contacted them (how?) did they also confirm the price as well as the spec and make?

If yes then it could be argued that a person has reviewed the transaction, therefore a contract has been formed irrespective of the terms on the website. (The exclusion usually applies for automated transactions, and allows the company to cancel the contract once a person has reviewed it).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,206Posts Today

7,506Users online

Martin's Twitter