Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Rex_Mundi
    • By Rex_Mundi 15th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 5,147Posts
    • 3,817Thanks
    Can you help?
    • #1
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    Can you help? 15th Mar 17 at 9:19 PM
    I have asked my friends permission to post this. I think he is in trouble.

    He is on state pension. Retired. He lives in a secured housing retiirement block that he bought into. He bought a lease but pays approx 1,800 a year in ground rent. He is 69 years old.

    He had a savings pot before but that is nothing now.

    He doesn't know anything about benefits. He claims nothing.

    Is there any help he can claim for?

    I do worry about him. He is my mate but I'm a self employed builder who knows nothing about the benefits system. I hope you can help hiim out. Thank you
    Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto
Page 1
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 15th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    How much is his state pension, if its under 155.60 a week he could claim Pension credit to top it up to that amount, it is income based and will depend on other things like savings

    I would suggest he contacts Age UK they have benefit advisors and may be able to give advice
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 15th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • #3
    • 15th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    Or suggest he visits the CAB for a benefit check.

    Possibilities would include Pension Credit

    and Council Tax support
    • Rex_Mundi
    • By Rex_Mundi 16th Mar 17, 12:04 AM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 3,817 Thanks
    • #4
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 AM
    • #4
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 AM
    Thank you. I know his income is between six and seven hundred pounds a month. I'm not sure of the exact amount but I will post back after I ask him tomorrow.

    I know he is struggling with the bills.

    He is a decent guy that doesn't want to rely on anyone or the state. I dont know anything about state help.

    He doesn't do the internet but I will follow up for him if thats what it needs.

    Thank you for the the links
    Last edited by Rex_Mundi; 16-03-2017 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added a line
    Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    • 21,316 Posts
    • 12,241 Thanks
    • #5
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    • #5
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    Here is the very detailed Age Concern Fact Sheet on Pension Credit. might be worth a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,826Posts Today

4,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night.

  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

  • Follow Martin