Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lazypanda
    • By lazypanda 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lazypanda
    HSBC switching product experience
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    HSBC switching product experience 15th Mar 17 at 8:49 PM
    Hi All,

2 years ago I was a FTB and going through the process of applying to HSBC for a mortgage. It was lot less painful than I had assumed at first and quicker. Now that we are coming to the end of our 2 year deal in September this year, i wanted to find out and prepare as much as I can before re-mortgaging or switching to another product with HSBC itself.
    I hope to stay with my existing provider and part of that is I hope to not have to go through the same process I did whenI first applied for the mortgage - as much as it was not so painful, I want the 'switching' to be easy and over with in a few days if possible!

I have read various stories of Nationwide, Halifax etc. here but nothing much on what it is like with HSBC if you are an existing customer? Is there any of you with this experience recently? Can HSBC sort it out over the phone quickly for example or do they send out someone to value my property, ask me for income proof, credit checks etc like we went through the first time?
    I would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Thanks.
    Last edited by lazypanda; 15-03-2017 at 8:52 PM.
Page 1
    • ceminem
    • By ceminem 16th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    ceminem
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    I have done it online and they used an index linked valuation to estimate the current valuation. It was all done and dusted in a few days. It became active when my fix expired and the new rate kicked in.
    • coopso24
    • By coopso24 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    coopso24
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    I did it all over the phone about 9 months ago, Very helpfull and clear no new checks and the valuation was index linked.
    • lazypanda
    • By lazypanda 16th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lazypanda
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    Thank you both! Please could you tell me if they did any credit checks, ask for paperwork like income payslips etc? I'm looking at changing my job and wonder weather it will have any impact on it. We can still afford the payments comfortably but I hope not to have to explain too much if (major if!) we have change in circumstances. Thank you
    • Father_Christmas
    • By Father_Christmas 16th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Father_Christmas
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    I've just switched rate. No checks or anything. You look online, choose a rate and either do the switch online or give them a ring. Either way they'll send you a bundle of paperwork. You sign a couple of forms and send back.

However, you can opt for advice and that gets a bit more complicated. Also if you want to change term etc it is also a bit more complicated. But not sure about this as I opted for no advice.

But my experience was easy and seamless. Also great rates from HSBC too.
    Am i here to save money or spend money......hmmmmm
    • lazypanda
    • By lazypanda 16th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lazypanda
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    Thanks! That sounds easy enough. Phew! I told my husband we will need to start preparing paperwork etc from June onwards for when we come the end of our deal in September. If I get a new job by June then will even be able to provide few months payslip for the new job but glad to know I don't need to worry about that now either.

We will just do online, no advise and select one of the rates that suits us best. Out of curiosity, did you go for 3,5 or 10 years? I'm thinking 5 years fix will be good if we can manage that.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 17th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    strawberries1
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    Thanks! That sounds easy enough. Phew! I told my husband we will need to start preparing paperwork etc from June onwards for when we come the end of our deal in September. If I get a new job by June then will even be able to provide few months payslip for the new job but glad to know I don't need to worry about that now either.

We will just do online, no advise and select one of the rates that suits us best. Out of curiosity, did you go for 3,5 or 10 years? I'm thinking 5 years fix will be good if we can manage that.
    Originally posted by lazypanda
    I'm a FTB and wondering about whether to go 2yrs of 5yrs too.
    • Father_Christmas
    • By Father_Christmas 17th Mar 17, 10:53 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Father_Christmas
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:53 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by lazypanda
    I went for 2yr 1.54. My mortgage isn't too big and taking a risk that rates don't rise too much in 2 years. But it's a personal choice. I was tempted by the 5 yr 1.94 too.
    Am i here to save money or spend money......hmmmmm
    • RavingMad
    • By RavingMad 18th Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    RavingMad
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:00 AM
    There's nothing stopping you clicking on the mortgage options link before your rate is up to familiarise yourself with the process. In fact, you can find out what your current LTV is based on their valuation quite early in the process. I take a look every month to see if my LTV has gone down a point

If you have a joint mortgage with your partner, they'll have to have an account with HSBC so that they can log on and agree to the new product once you've selected it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

9,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin