Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alikt
    • By alikt 15th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alikt
    cover for a foreign purchase
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    cover for a foreign purchase 15th Mar 17 at 6:36 PM
    I recently purchasd an expensive piece of jewelry abroad, and after an British valuation, it is not worth as much as the purchase price, . I have emailed the company off with the details, but would I still be covered by my credit card if they do not settle the differece
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,174 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    There's no requirement for it to cost as much as the purchase price. It just needs to be as described.

If it was described as gold and it's made from mud and yellow paint, then yes, you could claim under section 75.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 8,985 Posts
    • 13,046 Thanks
    meer53
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    I recently purchasd an expensive piece of jewelry abroad, and after an British valuation, it is not worth as much as the purchase price, . I have emailed the company off with the details, but would I still be covered by my credit card if they do not settle the differece
    Originally posted by alikt
    Not unless you have evidence that you were sold A but received B. eg, receipt says 18ct gold but it's actually 9ct,
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    If you're talking S75 protection, then it's tricky. Did the company deliver the goods ? Were the goods as described ? If yes, then you're going to have a fight on your hands. S75 is really intended to cover situations where the goods weren't delivered, or were not as described. And it's that last point that's going to be the tricky one - how were the goods described ? If it was "A 24 carat gold necklace" and that's what you received, then you're going to be stuck, I think. If it was "A gold necklace worth £3000 Sterling", then you just may have a case. Unless you paid £200 pounds for it, in which case it's caveat emptor.

And don't forget, gold, jewels etc. have different values in different countries. Just because the UK value is less than the value in the country of origin, doesn't mean it's "wrong" as such.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 6,438 Posts
    • 3,395 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    S75 makes the CC jointly liable for breach of contract or misrepresentation. You will have to show one of these applies in order to put the CC on the hook.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 16th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    If you'd bought it for £5,000 in H Samuel and found it on sale for £3,000 in F Hind, you'd be entitled to nothing from the card company.

How does your situation differ?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 6,438 Posts
    • 3,395 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:48 AM
    On the other hand, I suppose if you bought it from Ratners on the basis it was total crap, and it turned out to be worth something, you might have a claim under misrepresentation.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    On the other hand, I suppose if you bought it from Ratners on the basis it was total crap, and it turned out to be worth something, you might have a claim under misrepresentation.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Although S75 obviously only applies if you paid over £100 for it (unlikely in the context of GR's original comment)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin