Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 15th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 46Thanks
    n1guy
    Do I mention money as main reason for looking to leave a job?
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    Do I mention money as main reason for looking to leave a job? 15th Mar 17 at 6:11 PM
    I have a job interview next week with another company. The main reason I am looking to leave my current job is money, I am earning min wage for a semi skilled job (Cabinet Maker), The going rate is around £9 per hour.

I am sure to be asked the "Why are you looking to leave" question. What do I say?
Page 1
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 15th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    Just tell them! Just say that you love the work but you feel that you should be earning the going rate for the work.

Then maybe discuss one or two things you specifically like about their company. Good ethos? Good clients that they work with? Big reputation? etc
    ent.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 15th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 36,980 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    New challenge... new company is great because xyz... opportunity to build on your skills....

More money sounds a bit mercenary to me.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 15th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    New challenge... new company is great because xyz... opportunity to build on your skills....

More money sounds a bit mercenary to me.
    Originally posted by Masomnia
    Hmm you could do..

The only possible downside to that is the employer may look at you and think 'ok, so what is the REAL reason why this person is leaving? Why go from one company to another despite it being the same sort of business?'.

Its a bit of a generic answer!
    ent.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 36,980 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    Hmm you could do..

The only possible downside to that is the employer may look at you and think 'ok, so what is the REAL reason why this person is leaving? Why go from one company to another despite it being the same sort of business?'.

Its a bit of a generic answer!
    Originally posted by daytona0
    So it's a good opportunity to show you've researched the company and why you think you think you'd be a good fit, why you're passionate about cabinet making and all that.

I wouldn't say a blanket no to mentioning it, like you say it is honest, but if that's the only reason then you risk looking like you'll up sticks and move three months later when you see a job paying 50p more.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    I'd tell the company I am leaving that I'm off because the pay is bad, but at interview I would pay them some compliments and make that sound like thats your reasons for wanting to work there.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    I agree with Fireflyaway. It's one thing to let your current employer know that you are leaving because you feel undervalued financially, it's a different thing all together to say to a prospective employer that the main reason you want to move is more money.
    First thing in their minds then is that you will move on again as soon as you see more money on offer elsewhere.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 15th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    I think it is always better to give an honest answer to this question, as long as you never slag off your previous employer.

Moving to get a higher salary is perfectly reasonable.

It is also good to mention other reasons such as wishing to gain experience etc. etc. to make you sound interested in the work.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 16th Mar 17, 7:47 AM
    • 12,865 Posts
    • 10,956 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:47 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 7:47 AM
    Moving on because it's time to progress, work with new people, and continue to add to the value you bring.

Something like that that doesn't sound too forced. If you think in terms of 'value' it implies work in exchange for pay, suggests better money for a quality worker, but doesn't say it explicitly and it's wrapped up in a very positive personal intent.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 27,968 Posts
    • 16,759 Thanks
    getmore4less
    You wrap it(money) up in other things that are relevant.

the oft used one is career progression.

You look for the things the new place offers over the old one, type of jobs, skills, training, size of company etc.

you can add other relevant factors like reputation, location

If the old employer is known as a tight payer they will know it's the money.

If it really is just the money, what if the current place counter offers plan how to handle that.

if you have not done already give the current place a chance to improve the situation to save you the hassle of moving.

Sometime it is worth moving just to avoid getting stale.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    The only issue with telling the truth is I - as an interviewer - would wonder if the interviewee was only looking to secure another job so that they could use it as a bargaining tool with their current employer...and once they'd secured that higher salary they'd turn down my offer of employment.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • SandC
    • By SandC 16th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    SandC
    It's useful for HR departments (who contrary to popular belief, don't decide the pay rates) to know why people are leaving. If it's frequently down to getting more pay elsewhere then the senior management need to know that as it could be a key issue to finding, and retaining, future skilled staff.

You can give this reason for leaving alongside thanking them for their support and valuable experience gained over the course of your employment and wishing them continued success in the future.

As others have said, different conversation when talking to the new employer...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

590Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin