Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waxhead321
    • By Waxhead321 15th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Waxhead321
    Advice on complaining neighbours
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    Advice on complaining neighbours 15th Mar 17 at 6:10 PM
    Had a visit from council yesterday because someone has made a complaint about noise and that i work on my own car on my driveway.

We have recently just changed the bathroom suite and been slowly improving the home entirely over the year. As there was no carpets apart from the dog wee stained one in the hallway. Tabacco stained ceilings, mold in bathroom, over grown garden full of rubbish. You get the idea.
    Its a council property and everything has been given the ok
    I understand if there was drilling everyday, but a paintbrush or roller is hardly causing noise. If anywork is carried out it would be a weekend as i work full time. Also as i used to be a mechanic i work on mine and partner car. Servicing, repairing ect. Yet again i would understand if there was banging or a grinder going all hours but im only using hand tools no air tools or impact guns ect.

Ive even worked on our neighbours (who we think has made the complaint) car replacing a turbo on it. Our other neighbour doesnt have a issue as he talks to me everyday and never has a issue with us and is happy to have us as neighbours.

I dont know whether to approach the neighbours and bring the issue up or just leave it.
Page 2
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 17th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    maisie cat
    @maisie cat I can't imagine planing a door is going to be very loud - unless your electric planer is powered by a steam engine!!
    Originally posted by Crinkmeister
    I was outside rather than in the shed because the door was too heavy to carry right down the garden. It did prompt me to check relative decibel levels of power tools, lawnmowers etc and there is not a lot of difference really. Like the OP, I was more annoyed that I've helped the guy in the past. I've loaned him loads of power tools & must have saved him a fortune not having to hire stuff. No good deed goes unpunished!
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 17th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Most neighbourhoods have a miserable old git who has nothing better to do than moan about everything. We have one near us...
    Why can't they all go and live together on their own housing estate?
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 18th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    27cool
    @maisie cat I can't imagine planing a door is going to be very loud - unless your electric planer is powered by a steam engine!!
    Well, my power plane is pretty loud. But doing the bottom of a door would only take at most, a few minutes.
    Although I do think that the suggestion of making a noise at 11pm is a bit antisocial to say the least.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 18th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    FreeBear
    When I challenged him about his noise versus ours he claimed that "domestic noise" is allowed but DIY is not domestic or some such nonsense.
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    What you want is one of these -
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 19th Mar 17, 5:53 AM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 9,528 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Everyone knows their rights, few think about their responsibilities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin