Money rec'd from a job I never started - advice please

I am looking for some legal advice please:

In Dec 2016 I applied for a temp role with M & S for 30+ hours. At the interview they offered me the role, but only 19 hours. I accepted as I was unemployed. At home on reflection of my travel costs, I declined the role.

My husband worked for M & S (different branch) in a temp xmas role. They sent him a P45 while he was still working there. When 2 small payments were credited to our a/c in January we didn't think anything of it.

Turns out M & S paid ME £146!!!! I never worked there, never had a contract, an employee number, clocked in or anything,

Now they are demanding I pay this money back or they will instruct a debt collection agency.

Does anyone know where I stand legally on this matter?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes you owe them £146
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    If they paid you it, then you owe it.

You do not seem to be disputing it, just that you didnt know it was yours due to having a joint bank account and not checking what should have been received. Thats fair enough, however, you do still owe it.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As above you owe them the money, same as anyone else who is overpaid.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Having a joint account for wages is insane (in my opinion). Can't you just open up your own basic account somewhere and xfer your wages over each month? That way you've got a bit more of an audit trail to play with in case any such errors happen in the future!

Banking advice aside, you need to:

1. Pay the money back (or offer installments, I'm sure that they will be reasonable to an extent if you explain the situation rationally)

2. Audit all of your incoming wages into this joint account from M+S. Then get your husband to cross-reference this with wages earned whilst working at M+S. Query any discrepancies.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If they had taken £146 from you would you just let them keep it?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,326
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Having a joint account for wages is insane (in my opinion).

My wife and I have had a joint account for everything ever since we married. No problem of any sort. All payments into the account are itemised so where's the problem?
    To me, not having a joint account suggests a lack of trust between the parties.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    debstheleo wrote: »
    Turns out M & S paid ME £146!!!! I never worked there, never had a contract, an employee number, clocked in or anything,

Now they are demanding I pay this money back or they will instruct a debt collection agency.

Wow, take it you've spent it now?

You know it's wrong and that it wasn't yours, did you think that M&S were just dishing out gift vouchers?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wow, im surprised you even had to ask...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    charge them for checking the payment is in fact theirs and arranging the refund.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP as you can gather its a basic principle to give the money back unless you fancy having debt collectors at the door. Why did you have to ask, the money isnt yours since you didnt work for them.

I take it you have talied the £146 up with what you husband had worked and its not for what he worked.

I feel a claim for compensaton is due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport