Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 943Posts
    • 145Thanks
    littlerock
    Barclaycard compromised only ever used for Amazon and Paypal
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    Barclaycard compromised only ever used for Amazon and Paypal 15th Mar 17 at 4:24 PM
    Had a phone call this afternoon from Barclaycard saying police had advisedthem my card has been compromised and they needed to cancel it at once. (And yes it was a genuine call, I was not asked for any personal or cc information.)

The fraud team person said my card did not appear to have been used for anything unusual and confirmed the most recent transactions with me. However it was on a list of "compromised" Barclaycard numbers provided to them by the police. So it has been blocked and the card cancelled. A new one is being sent to me.

What is puzzling me is I never use my card in person or over the phone, nor to withdraw cash or pay for petrol, only for online purchases with amazon or paypal. It is still in my bag, I just checked. I have checked that nothing unusual has gone through my account. So how would anyone have got hold of the number?
Page 1
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 15th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 3,370 Thanks
    angelpye
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    Maybe a virus on your computer? Or I believe sometimes financial institutions themselves have a security breach? I am assuming they didn't offer any information?
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 2/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    No she said the police had not yet told them the source, merely given them a list of numbers believed to be compromised and my card number was one of them.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 23,498 Posts
    • 10,775 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    There is software available on the internet which will generate card numbers until they come across one that will work.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • meer53
    • By meer53 15th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 8,550 Posts
    • 12,263 Thanks
    meer53
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    Or an employee at Amazon or Paypal passing on information to fraudsters.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 15th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    Or an employee at Amazon or Paypal passing on information to fraudsters.
    Originally posted by meer53
    This seems the most likely explanation, there was a programme on BBC1 a good while back where call centre handlers were providing card numbers, names, addresses and even the three digits from the back for as little as £2 a go.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    Amazon don't ask for or need the CVV code on the back of the card. As was mentioned, it was most likely a card generator someone used. Might also be an inside job at the bank - it has been known.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 15th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    About a month ago I got a robot call from barclaycard saying my card details had been compromised, and they were replacing my cards (Amex/Visa cashback combination). No mention of the police in my call.

Not sure if it was the visa or the Amex card or both.

However the Amex was stored at Amex and Paypal.

However my other credit cards stored at Amazon haven't been replaced, so maybe that points at paypal or barclaycard, or perhaps it is just someone guessing numbers.

It annoying they when they won't or can't tell you how it got compromised.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 15th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    There is software available on the internet which will generate card numbers until they come across one that will work.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

That's not particularly difficult, it's a simple algorithm.

Checking those numbers for validity would be fairly difficult without the expiry date, CVV number and/or address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,155Users online

Martin's Twitter