Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Musso2010
    • By Musso2010 15th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Musso2010
    Store closed down...can they issue a parking charge notice
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    Store closed down...can they issue a parking charge notice 15th Mar 17 at 4:22 PM
    Hi everyone,

My question is, if a store has shut down and ceased trading (a sainsburys store to be exact) can a private parking company still issue a penalty charge notice for exceeding the time on the ticket?
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 15th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11,810 Posts
    • 17,995 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    This is a totally unregulated industry, anything that can part you from your money goes.

Which parking company?
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 38,162 Posts
    • 76,322 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    Hi everyone,

My question is, if a store has shut down and ceased trading (a sainsburys store to be exact) can a private parking company still issue a penalty charge notice for exceeding the time on the ticket?
    Originally posted by Musso2010
    The landowner has the right to stop people from parking on their land without permission and can employ a private company to do this irrespective of whether the land is or isn't being used at the time for parking.
    They cannot issue a penalty charge notice, but can issue a parking charge notice.

If you have a PCN then you should read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES and then appeal accordingly.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9,809 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    The answer is "Yes" as long as the land is owned by the people who contracted the PPC and the contract is still valid.

In fact, empty land is often more at risk from dumping and travellers camping than regularly used land.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 15th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    Yes unless they are "travellers" then they won't go anywhere near!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Musso2010
    • By Musso2010 15th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Musso2010
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    Thank you all for the quick response.

It was the fact that the store was no longer being used so I just wanted to clarify the situation.

I'll begin my appeal using the advice in the sticky.

Oh and for the person who asked, it was Horizon Parking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

3,783Users online

Martin's Twitter