Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 15th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 730Posts
    • 1,051Thanks
    greatgimpo
    Select a Nationwide a/c for online banking
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    Select a Nationwide a/c for online banking 15th Mar 17 at 5:02 PM
    I have two current accounts at Nationwide.

Account A might have a balance of a million quid (I wish!).

Account B might have a balance of a few hundred quid, used for online purchases, Paypal, and odd little things.

If I register for online banking, can I be certain that only account B is used, and keep the big account A out of it as I'm paranoid about a rogue stealing the lot?

If I get rooked (unlikely but possible) through stupidity I want to make sure it'll only be the little account that gets emptied.
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 8,358 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    Of course they will be separate as each account has it's own number and that not given on the internet won't be used.

However, you do need to be sensible about who you give your details to; certainly not the company with a website using poor English and having a foreign contact, selling £500 items for £25.99.
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 15th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    I think the person becomes registered for internet banking, and all accounts held by that person becomes available to them on the internet. I would prefer if account A isn't even seen on the website.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    I believe that you are correct - All my Nationwide accounts show, even though I registered only once for online banking years ago.

Unfortunately I don't have a million quid either ....
    • ST-User
    • By ST-User 15th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ST-User
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    All your accounts (current account, savings, also credit cads) will be available in online banking.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 15th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    alanq
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    Any reason accounts A and B need to be with Nationwide?

I keep a prepaid Mastercard with c£100 on it. I can use that for online purchases and contactless payments and top it as required by bank transfer from Nationwide.
    Last edited by alanq; 15-03-2017 at 6:43 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    Part of the fallout from N&P.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    I think some banks will allow you to sy which accounts you want to have included in online banking and which excluded. However, I've just looked on my Nationwide page and I can't see any way to prevent an account from being displayed.

Of course, if you actually had a million pounds you should either distribute it among multiple banks to get full FSCS protection, or put in in an account at NS&I.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 8,358 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    Surely buying over the internet, giving sort code and account number for one account is quite different from giving someone access to your online banking holding account, which is password protected for both entry and any transfers requested ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

293Posts Today

3,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin