Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 15th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 180Thanks
    stardust09
    Timing of exchange and completion?
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    Timing of exchange and completion? 15th Mar 17 at 3:14 PM
    Hi,

I'm a FTB buying a chain-free property but it has been subject to some substantial delays from the seller's solicitors. I had hoped to complete on 7th April but now the seller is saying that she is on holiday between the 4th and 13th April, then it's Easter, so that would potentially push the completion date to 18th April. However, she wants to bring it forward instead and for me to exchange as soon as possible so she can make plans to empty the properly and complete between 1-4th April.

Firstly, I am confused why the seller needs an exchange date to be asap so she can make plans to empty the property.

Secondly, does a seller need to be contactable on completion day or would it be possible to complete whilst she's on holiday? I didn't really want to complete quite that early.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Page 1
    • neilio
    • By neilio 15th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    neilio
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    Any seller needs to know when to expect exchange of contracts so they can pack up their belongings in time for completion day. I see nothing wrong with the seller saying this. She is being up front and honest with you that she will be on holiday over certain dates and would prefer to complete on the sale before she goes away. Either you can agree to this, or you can disagree and say you need it to be later and enter into a negotiation with her.

She may or may not agree to complete whilst she is on holiday. It depends what arrangements she needs to make for herself and where she is putting all of her belongings from the house, who will take possession of her keys to give to you, etc. Typically on completion day, a seller would vacate the house early in the day, hand the keys over to their estate agent, then the buyer would arrive to collect the keys from the estate agent. So, you may not even see or need to contact her on completion day.

Completion date is agreed at exchange. Talk to your seller (I don't know if you're communicating directly or via the solicitors or via the estate agents) to come to an agreement.
    Last edited by neilio; 15-03-2017 at 3:27 PM.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    Most sellers will want the security of an exchange of contracts before going through the process of clearing the property.

Until such time as exchange has taken place there is nothing stopping you walking away from the proposed purchase.

In the event you did walk away and the property needed to be re-marketed then it's better to try and sell a furnished property rather than an unfurnished one.

There is nothing to stop completion taking place whilst the seller is away on holiday.
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 15th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    stardust09
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    Thanks, the seller isn't living there - it was a sort of city-pad second home for her. There were only minimal belongings there when I viewed it and most of the place was empty. I would pick the keys up from the estate agent. I am happy to exchange as soon as I can. I just need to work out a good completion date for both of us.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 38,459 Posts
    • 43,553 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:45 PM

Firstly, I am confused why the seller needs an exchange date to be asap so she can make plans to empty the property.

Secondly, does a seller need to be contactable on completion day or would it be possible to complete whilst she's on holiday? I didn't really want to complete quite that early.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Originally posted by stardust09
    1) We marketed our mother's house with some furniture and pictures etc. It looked better that way. We did not finish clearing it till after Exchange in case we needed to start marketing again.

No, If the seller has already cleared the property and left the keys somewhere for the buyer, they need not be contactable. Unless they are doing the conveyancing themselves that is.

But most peope would want to be around in case things go wrong, and especially if they are moving on elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,308Posts Today

7,991Users online

Martin's Twitter