Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • an1179
    • By an1179 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,649Posts
    • 16,156Thanks
    an1179
    I feel so stupid I bought car and it is cat c can't get insured
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    I feel so stupid I bought car and it is cat c can't get insured 15th Mar 17 at 3:54 PM
    I feel stupid and angry took someone with me to buy a car for DD. The v5 said it was uneconomical to repair by a commercial but the friend I was with said it was fine. I have spent 1'150 purchase and then 500 for new tyre battery service and cam belt. I ust phoned for insurance quote they said they don't insure CAT c vehicle it was a broker who searched all their companies . Feel so.let down and useless . Ford fiesta freedom 2006 car
Page 1
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 15th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 17,994 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    I feel stupid and angry took someone with me to buy a car for DD. The v5 said it was uneconomical to repair by a commercial but the friend I was with said it was fine. I have spent 1'150 purchase and then 500 for new tyre battery service and cam belt. I ust phoned for insurance quote they said they don't insure CAT c vehicle it was a broker who searched all their companies . Feel so.let down and useless . Ford fiesta freedom 2006 car
    Originally posted by an1179
    Try another broker:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/category-c-insurance/?gclid=CM7J7-Dv2NICFYu6GwodezELEA
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    Or just use a comparison site. If the insurer doesn't ask if it's a CAT C, then you're not obliged to tell them.

I've insured several CAT D and C cars and bikes in the past, with no problems at all and at no significant cost.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 8,106 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    Or just use a comparison site. If the insurer doesn't ask if it's a CAT C, then you're not obliged to tell them.

I've insured several CAT D and C cars and bikes in the past, with no problems at all and at no significant cost.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Should be very simple with no issues, mind you if the op is already using a broker rather than the meerkats etc then there may be other issues.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    Should be very simple with no issues, mind you if the op is already using a broker rather than the meerkats etc then there may be other issues.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    True enough.
    • an1179
    • By an1179 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    an1179
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    I have accepted an online quote they have asked for copies of licences and V5. It's a learner driver policy
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 17,994 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    I have accepted an online quote they have asked for copies of licences and V5. It's a learner driver policy
    Job done then - maybe you could add to your original post at the top to let everyone know that you've solved your problem.
    • an1179
    • By an1179 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    an1179
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    Yes but the V5 has the special notes this vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle. Do will they now reject my insurance ?
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 17,994 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    Yes but the V5 has the special notes this vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle. Do will they now reject my insurance ?
    It really would help everyone if you could be more specific in what you actually want to know.

Is the quote based on it being a Cat C?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

It's possible, but if they do, try another insurer. There will be plenty who will happily cover the car.

I suspect like many buyers you will have accepted the cheapest online quote, and those insurers are the bucket-end of the market - they will be much more concerned about finding ways to avoid having to pay out a claim than they will be about offering decent cover - so they're more likely to be the type of insurer who will refuse to cover a Cat C.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 24,954 Posts
    • 9,896 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Broker couldn't find cover? Find another broker. They should have had little problem getting cover.

Unless the CAR C was not the problem, but the car and the driver and postcode combination?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 15th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Whilst it never used to be an issue to insure a previously written off car most insurers are now pulling out of this part of the market and refusing to quote for new business on written off cars so situation will become increasingly more common.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Whilst it never used to be an issue to insure a previously written off car most insurers are now pulling out of this part of the market and refusing to quote for new business on written off cars so situation will become increasingly more common.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or is it conjecture? My most recent experience of a colleague insuring his Cat C Focus was that he had no issue whatsoever, and wasn't asked at any point whether the car was a previous writeoff.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 15th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Not conjecture I work in the industry and this is the current strategy of many insurers. The industry is getting very nervous following the recent rate change and the upcoming reforms plus constant increase to insurance premium tax pushing prices up.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 15th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 5,102 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    rs65
    Not conjecture I work in the industry and this is the current strategy of many insurers. The industry is getting very nervous following the recent rate change and the upcoming reforms plus constant increase to insurance premium tax pushing prices up.
    None of which has any relevance to insuring a cat c or d vehicle.

I have not heard of any insurers adopting this strategy.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 15th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    debtdebt
    The upcoming MOJ reforms are going to cut the amount paid out for minor injuries and the related costs massively. Do you know what you're talking about?
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 16th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    angrycrow
    The upcoming MOJ reforms are going to cut the amount paid out for minor injuries and the related costs massively. Do you know what you're talking about?
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    That's what they said about the original MOJ reforms. Look where that got us, even more claims. The current proposals only apply to whiplash injuries to the neck. Already medico legal experts are moving away from using the terminology whiplash. There is the suggestion to increase the small claims limit to 5000 but this only applies to motor claims not employer and public liability. Current solicitors costs on a whiplash claim are only 600 including vat legal firms will still need to take on the lower end work to get the higher value claims which they make the big money on.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 14,831 Posts
    • 8,308 Thanks
    motorguy
    That's what they said about the original MOJ reforms. Look where that got us, even more claims. The current proposals only apply to whiplash injuries to the neck. Already medico legal experts are moving away from using the terminology whiplash. There is the suggestion to increase the small claims limit to 5000 but this only applies to motor claims not employer and public liability. Current solicitors costs on a whiplash claim are only 600 including vat legal firms will still need to take on the lower end work to get the higher value claims which they make the big money on.
    And this affects Cat C cars because....?
    Regards

Paul
    • an1179
    • By an1179 17th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    an1179
    I have insured the car using online confused. as no reference is made to whether the car is a cat c/write off. Not sure whether the fact is considered to be something that should be discussed. As long as I don't have a claim and have to produce the V5 then all will be well.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 17th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 3,384 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I have insured the car using online confused. as no reference is made to whether the car is a cat c/write off. Not sure whether the fact is considered to be something that should be discussed. As long as I don't have a claim and have to produce the V5 then all will be well.
    As I said, if they do not ask you are under no obligation to tell them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,404Posts Today

9,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin