Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 15th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,177Posts
    • 478Thanks
    catoutthebag
    Best economy tyre's?
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    Best economy tyre's? 15th Mar 17 at 2:45 PM
    Hi what are the best 4 season economy tyre's please (between Budget and mid spec)?
    My size are 195 65r15

Thanks
Page 1
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 15th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    Don't want to pay more than £30-35 each
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    So you've bothered to give all the details you need to look for yourself, but can't be ar53d. May I suggest the following:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
    http://www.blackcircles.com/
    http://www.etyres.co.uk/
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Take a look at black circles, you can pick your tyre size and it will give you a good range.

As for "best", not sure what you mean, if you have a standard size tyre for a standard car then pick the dearest you can afford. If however you have an MR2 or MX5 or something a little out of the ordinary then choose the ones everyone else uses.

Hope that makes sense.
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 15th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:59 PM
    So you've bothered to give all the details you need to look for yourself, but can't be ar53d. May I suggest the following:

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
    http://www.blackcircles.com/
    http://www.etyres.co.uk/
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Don't be a pleb / jobs worth as usual.

I've seen those sites, they're full of thousands of tyres, I'm looking for the best brand/spec in my price range.

Duh
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 15th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:05 PM

I've seen those sites, they're full of thousands of tyres, I'm looking for the best brand/spec in my price range.

Duh
    Originally posted by catoutthebag

Not really, there's 7 different makes of tyres less than £50 each.

Take your pick, your unlikely notice any difference from an Avon to a Dunlop.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM

Duh

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise it was my job to respond to posts on here.

Do you actually know what a 'pleb' is? Are you implying that not giving you an answer you can find yourself somehow makes me a lower class citizen?

Yes, there are thousands of tyres. What makes you think anyone here is going to be able to tell you the 'best' for your few quid any more easily than if you simply did the search yourself.

Here's a tip: Order by price. Select tyre you think looks nice. Buy tyre.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    My favourite mid range tyres are currently Uniroyal. Might struggle in your budget but given it is all between you and the road its rarely a good idea to go too cheap.

I fitted an unknown brand that my garage recommended and it was terrible, slid all over the place in the wet and the difference when changing to uniroyal was chalk and cheese. I've also previously used Toyo Proxos/Bridgestones/Falcon 452s but that has tended to be on sporty cars. For higher end cars Michelin is amongst my favourites.

Of course each of those brand has sub-tyre model so you still have to work out what is best in terms of grip/performance/wear and noise.
    • stator
    • By stator 15th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 5,908 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    stator
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    As a rear tyre (front wheel drive) I am very happy with AVON ZT5's. Not the same size as yours but they have lasted over 4 years and still got plenty of tread (about 5k miles per year). In my size they are C rated for wet braking and C rated for fuel efficienty. On my front wheels I put a tyre with better wet braking ratings.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,625 Thanks
    DoaM
    Don't want to pay more than £30-35 each
    Supply only or fitted?

I presume the former as you're unlikely to get a fitted tyre in that price range.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 17,480 Posts
    • 11,706 Thanks
    molerat
    As a rear tyre (front wheel drive) I am very happy with AVON ZT5's. Not the same size as yours but they have lasted over 4 years and still got plenty of tread (about 5k miles per year). In my size they are C rated for wet braking and C rated for fuel efficienty. On my front wheels I put a tyre with better wet braking ratings.
    Originally posted by stator
    OP doesn't want a tyre of that quality or price range , they are looking in the ditchfinder price band but need to push to £45 fitted for a decent tyre.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • stator
    • By stator 15th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 5,908 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    stator
    OP doesn't want a tyre of that quality or price range , they are looking in the ditchfinder price band but need to push to £45 fitted for a decent tyre.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Assuming the OP is after mail order tyres it's within his range on blackcircles. If he wants fitted tyres for £35 he will struggle
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

1,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin