Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amstel2
    • By amstel2 15th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 32Thanks
    amstel2
    Pressure washer
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    Pressure washer 15th Mar 17 at 1:56 PM
    Hello

I am looking into getting a pressure washer e.g. Karcher etc. to clean my driveway. However, I was wondering do these have to be used with an outside tap (I don’t have one) or will they work with an ordinary kitchen tap.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 15th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    They will work with any tap you can fix a hose to.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 15th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    why not buy some path cleaner instead of blasting all the grout out pressure washing
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    You will need a way of connecting the hose to the tap. Once you've done this, it should work fine. Alternatively some can be used with a water butt.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    Just replaced my 30 year old pressure washer with one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MQVAFM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cracking little machine for the money.
    Just spent a couple of hour cleaning my flagged paths & it made a brilliant job.
    You wont blast your grout out if you use it sensibly & if you do blast it out it is time is was replaced !!
    HTH
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    You should be able to get an outside tap fitted for £50...v handy
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 15th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5613881
    Here I've gone a bit an4l on the issues

Hello

I am looking into getting a pressure washer e.g. Karcher etc. to clean my driveway. However, I was wondering do these have to be used with an outside tap (I don’t have one) or will they work with an ordinary kitchen tap.

Thanks
    Originally posted by amstel2
    I would never recommend buying Karcher. It is designed to look like transformer, but insides (especially on models under £200) are plastic! they perform rather well in short term, but then wear and tear and actual cracks through the winters mean very expensive repairs or changing up as evilBay is full of ("untested") for parts and repairs heaps of garbage.
    Their ratings are very much like VW diesel engines

I have 3 of them, none are worth anything, just taking up the space...

(KEW - later Nielsen and Fiskerton)- NilFisk are good in general, their pumps are mainly aluminum, but fittings aren't industrial range and should be OK for DIYer, else some Bosch's are surprisingly good, but there are models to avoid to.
    Last edited by Atasas; 15-03-2017 at 5:41 PM.
    • amstel2
    • By amstel2 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    amstel2
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    why not buy some path cleaner instead of blasting all the grout out pressure washing
    Originally posted by JEN22
    Reason i want one is that i've got a few old oil & gear box fluid stains on the drive (block paving) & nothing i've tried so far has shifted it.
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 15th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    Reason i want one is that i've got a few old oil & gear box fluid stains on the drive (block paving) & nothing i've tried so far has shifted it.
    Originally posted by amstel2
    I had an advice to use gas burner on those.... kept creeping back
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    In reply to the OP, it doesn't have to be fed by an outside tap - as long as you can get a secure connection then any tap will do.

Having said that - having an outside tap is incredibly useful for so many things ( watering the garden, washing the car, kids playing water fights in the garden in the summer .... ). It's not difficult to do - especially if you tap off from, for instance, a kitchen supply which is already on an outside wall. A very cheap and simple DIY job, or dead easy for a friendly local plumber, or even a general handyman. For the sake of not much money, it's well worth installing a proper outside tap in my humble opinion. Whilst you're at it, stick in an isolation valve for the princely sum of £2 or thereabouts, hey presto you can easily drain off the outside tap in winter to prevent any possibility of it freezing.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,573Posts Today

7,619Users online

Martin's Twitter