Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pandapaws
    • By pandapaws 15th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,109Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    pandapaws
    How to find IFA who will do pension transfer paperwork?
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    How to find IFA who will do pension transfer paperwork? 15th Mar 17 at 1:54 PM
    I understand that I'm legally obliged to get a financial adviser to sign paperwork to say that they have advised about transferring a final salary pension out of it's employer scheme, and made initial enquiry with a friend of a friend who's an IFA. He said that it can be very difficult to justify these transfers, and while he totally agreed that in our circumstances it makes sense to do the transfer, he probably wouldn't be able to recommend it officially on paper because of the high levels of regulation and the type of pension it is.

My question is, if I'm determined that I want to transfer this pension, what are the IFA requirements that i need? Only that I've sought advice, or that they've agreed with the transfer?

Can the fees that the IFA charges come out of the pot amount even if I manage to get a fixed fee rather than a percentage? What sort of agreement would be normal in such circumstances? I've never used an IFA before, and don't know much about how they work. They generally seem to offer a free consultation, but there aren't enough hours in the day to spend an hour with a dozen different companies (and waste their time too) just to find out how much they'll charge - I'm not sure what the normal protocol is?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 87,671 Posts
    • 52,903 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    My question is, if I'm determined that I want to transfer this pension, what are the IFA requirements that i need? Only that I've sought advice, or that they've agreed with the transfer?
    The ceding scheme only requires you to have had advice. They are not required to know the outcome of that advice.

The receiving scheme can choose whether they only have positive advice to transfer or just that you have had advice. There are plenty that will accept without positive advice to transfer. Some IFAs will not transfer unless the advice is positive. So, that is another question to ask.

Can the fees that the IFA charges come out of the pot amount even if I manage to get a fixed fee rather than a percentage?
    yes, as long as the IFA does the transaction through their agency.

They generally seem to offer a free consultation, but there aren't enough hours in the day to spend an hour with a dozen different companies (and waste their time too) just to find out how much they'll charge - I'm not sure what the normal protocol is?
    The free consultation isnt really a consultation. It is a brief period for you to meet and discuss issues and see if there is common ground to proceed into the next stage.

You can ask the adviser firm on the phone what they charge for defined benefit pension transfers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bikeman
    • By bikeman 30th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    bikeman
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    The problem I have and you will too, is that 99.9% of IFAs are unwilling to put their name to the forms in the event that they don't approve the transfer.

The upshot being that even if the donor and recipient pension companies just want confirmation that you've obtained advice and have no interest in the outcome, the IFA not signing will effectively block your transfer.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 30th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    The problem I have and you will too, is that 99.9% of IFAs are unwilling to put their name to the forms in the event that they don't approve the transfer.
    Originally posted by bikeman
    99.9% is far too high, based on the anecdotal evidence from this forum (if it was 99.9% nobody would have managed it).

Let's say it was 99% (still an exaggeration), that would still leave hundreds of FAs across the UK who would be willing to sign off a transfer they don't approve. And the number of people who are actually going to proceed with transferring out of a final salary scheme even though it's most likely a bad idea is very small.

What you need is either an FA who is just starting out and needs the business or one who is on the verge of retirement and knows he will be on the beach when you come back and complain. The ones in the middle who are making a comfortable living from a well-established client bank and don't want to risk it are not your friends. A shame you can't search on Unbiased by age. (AFAIK.)

The FA doesn't need to be independent, by the way, only to have the relevant qualifications and permissions.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 30th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    • 21,277 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 30th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 4:46 PM
    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/advising-pension-transfers-our-expectations
    • Al.
    • By Al. 30th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Al.
    • 30th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    I charge a set fee, plus reasonable expenses if things drag out. I can only think of one provider who would accept a negative endorsement. I can usually tell at outset or very early on if it's viable, and will tell a client ASAP if it appears to be a "non". And we'll shake hands and walk away, nothing to pay. I say that, not to promote my services (I'm too busy at the moment anyway, alas!) but to give you an idea of what some advisers might look for, or how they work.

I look at the investing experience of the client, the funds they want, the emotional and financial headroom they have in the event of a financial crash, the plan (post transfer), the yield required, the bias towards wanting to leave a legacy (that's never going to do you any good!) and so on and so forth. If a client has no investing experience and they want to manage a complex plan themselves, that has no meat on the bone, I'll tell them at outset it's not for me.

I'm currently collaborating with a number of other advisers in producing a definitive screening template to determine transfer suitability. If the adviser wants a % by way of payment (IMHO), then walk. I've done two this year, they're quite exhausting (to me, anyway!).
    Independent Financial Adviser.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 30th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 21,277 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    I can only think of one provider who would accept a negative endorsement

Seems a bit of a contradiction!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 87,671 Posts
    • 52,903 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    [/B]

Seems a bit of a contradiction!
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Welcome to the world of FCA regulation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Al.
    • By Al. 30th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Al.
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    Why would a company accept an endorsement that said "Do not proceed, do not transfer"? No names, no pack-drill.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 30th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 21,277 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    xylophone
    My point was that "endorsement" normally implies approval.

But "negative endorsement"? Good grief!
    • Al.
    • By Al. 30th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Al.
    Fair one, I took it to mean recommendation or, as penalty points on a driving licence or via a flying 'green endorsement', a notation on a record. Irrelevant, I guess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,406Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin