Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gazzabhoy
    • By gazzabhoy 15th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gazzabhoy
    0 WOW
    Honeymoon travel insurance - Flying from Dublin, multiple flights
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Honeymoon travel insurance - Flying from Dublin, multiple flights 15th Mar 17 at 1:53 PM
    Hi All, Getting married in 3 weeks time and the honeymoon is booked for New York and Vegas.

No idea how to go about booking travel insurance for this. We live in Northern Ireland (UK) and the flight will be from Dublin in Southern Ireland. I've read travel insurance companies don't cover if not flying out of the UK.

My 2nd question is what do we need to do to be covered for all legs of the trip (4 flights in total) incase of cancellations or missing our connecting flight? (There's a 2 hour turnaround Vegas to Chicago and then Chicago back to the Dublin)
    Last edited by gazzabhoy; 15-03-2017 at 2:31 PM.
Page 1
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 15th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    You need to be covered from the start of your trip until the end of it. With regards to what they cover then you need to read the individual policies.

Unless you've only just booked your trip your insurance should have already been sorted the moment you paid out any money you couldn't afford to lose. If you had had to cancel between booking and now you would have lost everything.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 11,368 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    Cover for the various legs of your trip is essentially provided by the airlines: if you have to change 'planes in Chicago to get home but your flight from LV to Chicago is delayed so you miss the flight home then the airline will just put you on the next suitable departure. So long, that is, as you have a through ticket (and if you try doing this on separate tickets then that risk is not insurable).
    • gazzabhoy
    • By gazzabhoy 15th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gazzabhoy
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    Cover for the various legs of your trip is essentially provided by the airlines: if you have to change 'planes in Chicago to get home but your flight from LV to Chicago is delayed so you miss the flight home then the airline will just put you on the next suitable departure. So long, that is, as you have a through ticket (and if you try doing this on separate tickets then that risk is not insurable).
    Originally posted by Voyager2002

That's good to hear then. 3 of the 4 flights are flying with United and we have one reference number for expedia. The final flight back from Chicago to Ireland does have a 'UAxxxx' flight code and shows in the United phone app like the others, but it is actually operated by Aer Lingus. (So I hope this would be covered!)

So if I purchase a standard one trip insurance policy, I don't need to be concerned about the 4 flights and travelling from New York to Vegas?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 15th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 17,543 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    ...operated by Aer Lingus....
    Originally posted by gazzabhoy
    If the flight is not a United wet lease arrangement then you should be covered by EU reg EC261:2004.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

7,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @zimpaz: @MartinSLewis My wife is from ireland. Lived here for 8 years. We own a house and have a baby together. It's a worrying topic f?

• RT @maeday05: @MartinSLewis Sorry, but I'm feeling a little smug

• Today's Twitter poll: Should EU citizens living in UK's full residency & other rights be guaranteed now, regardless of Brexit negotiations?

• Follow Martin