Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jacksmith93
    • By jacksmith93 15th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jacksmith93
    New to UK - Credit Rating needed!
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    New to UK - Credit Rating needed! 15th Mar 17 at 1:46 PM
    Hello, my wife recently moved to the UK for the first time. She has no credit rating in the UK as she lived in Russia since birth. I want to help build up her credit score as quickly as possible. She tried to apply for a mobile phone and credit card but is really struggling. She doesn't have a bank account yet as I am not sure if she'll be accepted.

Also my credit rating is very good, will she effect mine? Is there a way of minimising the impact?

Please let me know your thoughts, if you have had similar experiences, or if you have any tips for me.
Page 1
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    Does she work? And by default your credit files are not linked, only when you will apply for joint products then her lack of credit may affect you.

And there is no such thing as credit rating, just credit history. If you want some random numbers, toss a dice. It will be about as informative about your creditworthiness as any credit rating.
    • jacksmith93
    • By jacksmith93 15th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jacksmith93
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    She just arrived, so not yet but she is looking and highly employable so I don't imagine it will take long. I thought they might be linked as we live together - so thank you for clarification.

I just don't want her to get rejected for things, not really bothered about the numbers!
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 15th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    Well, if she doesn't have a job she is unlikely to get a bank account except for some very basic one, but even that will be a bit of a hurdle and annoyance to get without a job (been there, done that and even with a job it was a pain). But once she is employed, it will be relatively straightforward.

She will also need some proof of address; often banks will accept a letter from employer in that case if they will be willing to write one.
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 14,975 Posts
    • 22,621 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    She will need to start with a super basic bank account for now - it will take her years to build a credit history same as everyone else I'm afraid.

As for being employable... she may get lucky or she may not. A lot of that will depend on what she does, if her English is brilliant and if where you are has a demand for her skills.
    Until she's employed and on the electoral roll then no-one will be likely to offer her ANY credit products I'm afraid.
    DFW Nerd #025
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 11,538 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    i thinks it would effect your credit rating,
    Originally posted by abanghasan
    Reported for low effort home page spam.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 29,205 Posts
    • 18,434 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    Reported for low effort home page spam.
    Originally posted by zx81
    A poor effort indeed.

Back to the OP, theres no quick way to it, start from the bottom.

As for the mobile phone she can get a cheapo phone for under 100 and get a pay monthly sim only plan, maybe 1 thats capped so she doesnt overspend.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 16-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • jacksmith93
    • By jacksmith93 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jacksmith93
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    Good shout on the phone front thank you. I'm deliberating whether to get it in my name for her but of coarse that will never help her issue. As time passes it should become easier (I believe) for her to get stuff because her 'time at address' will increase constantly.

Her car insurance is going to be a similar issue I feel.

Thanks for all the comments.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 16th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    Good shout on the phone front thank you. I'm deliberating whether to get it in my name for her but of coarse that will never help her issue. As time passes it should become easier (I believe) for her to get stuff because her 'time at address' will increase constantly.

Her car insurance is going to be a similar issue I feel.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Originally posted by jacksmith93
    Once she is employeed for few months she will be wise to go in person to one of the stores and apply there for a sim-only deal. They should grant it just fine. I recommend going in person as many only forms require 3 years worth of address and do not know the concept of people being oversea, but they can fill that application in store just fine.
    • Resh
    • By Resh 16th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Resh
    I had this same problem when I moved to the UK and it has taken years to get my credit rating up to good, whatever that means. In the early days my husband added me to his current account so that was my initial boost, eventually I got my own bank account and a credit card, and then finally we put my name on the gas/electric account the last time we moved. It's a process.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,404Posts Today

9,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin