Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 7,503Posts
    • 4,447Thanks
    teddysmum
    Plusnet's phone/broadband advert
    • 15th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    Plusnet's phone/broadband advert 15th Mar 17 at 1:42 PM
    We were told that providers now have to advertise broadband and line rental at one combined price, because some people were incapable of working out that 'free broadband' would have a sting in the tail, ie the need to pay for the line , so are stuck with the sneaky price rises introduced for this reorganisation.

However, while on another site, I had a side panel for PlusNet pop up and it advertises unlimited fibre for only 18 a month, with 24 month contract+10.50 per month line rental, in smaller print.

Isn't this against the rules ?
    Last edited by teddysmum; 15-03-2017 at 2:07 PM.
Page 1
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 15th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    You are correct they cannot be advertised like that anymore.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 15th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    Actually glancing quickly at their site I think they might be doing something interesting!

They are offering fibre independent of line rental. In other words you could have line rental from bt and fibre from plus.net.

As such they don't have to include the line rental because it is not a compulsory part of the package.

Interesting times.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    A number of people on their forums are talking about a few little fiddles going on between PlusNet and BT.

The advert mentioned hasn't appeared since (just ones mentioning inclusive line rental), so perhaps someone has reprimanded them.
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    That's only for consumer packages. What you looked at was a business package which does not need to advertise line rental price and broadband together.
    https://www.plus.net/business/
    • TaterPhil
    • By TaterPhil 16th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    TaterPhil
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    Just try leaving them without transferring to another supplier as my aged aunt tried to do in November last year - 5 months after the BT line was terminated.

They took a 30 termination fee (not cancellation as the account had been running for some time) but still continued to take direct debits then sent a threat of bailiffs (aunt is aged 87) if money was not paid. This is despite many phone calls and emails.

I|'m from Yorkshire and they certainly aren't "doing anyone proud"!!!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    Just try leaving them without transferring to another supplier as my aged aunt tried to do in November last year - 5 months after the BT line was terminated.

They took a 30 termination fee (not cancellation as the account had been running for some time) but still continued to take direct debits then sent a threat of bailiffs (aunt is aged 87) if money was not paid. This is despite many phone calls and emails.

I|'m from Yorkshire and they certainly aren't "doing anyone proud"!!!
    Originally posted by TaterPhil

I think you mean that it wasn't a penalty charge for leaving within the agreed minimum term. A cease fee is payable at most (all?) providers, if you don't migrate to another provider, but since last summer (I believe it was) they have classed migrating to an LLU as a cease too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

883Posts Today

7,240Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin